Monday, January 19, 2009

Barbara Walters? Katie Couric? Bahh!!

Well, here we are. Once again, poised on the precipice of history. Tomorrow, Barack Obama will be sworn in as our 44th President of the United States. Love him, hate him or ambivalent about him, his candicacy and now his presidency has proven that our nation has undergone some pretty significant changes over the past 50 years.
Tomorrow, we will be attempting to watch some of the coverage of the inauguration as it unfolds, and if you have been keeping up with it, you probably have seen that it is a pretty happening time down there in DC. Springsteen, James Taylor, Stevie Wonder, John Legend,Bono, Bon Jovi, Alicia Keyes, MJ Blige--not to mention Jamie Fox, Leo DiCaprio and Satan...err, I mean Oprah, all putting in some face time to support Barack.
Alas, here we are..in sunny Mays Landing rather than snowy DC, BUT, that does not mean that we can't be a part of these events, or at least, imagine that we are. So, this week, let's take a break from looking into our internal mirrors and think about the future..our futures.
The next four years will be a big deal for you. When the next election rolls around, you will be juniors in college, getting ready to graduate, possibly making some valuable contacts for future employment, maybe getting ready to take the GREs. Whatever you will be doing, the one thing that is for certain is that your college careers will be drawing to a close. So, whether or not you supported Obama this election won't matter--what does matter is that his 4 years in Office will determine what the landscape of your future opportunities are going to look like.
So...this week, what I would like to ask you is this...
If YOU had some face time with Obama, what advice would you like to give him about the next four years? What would you ask him for in terms of your future? And last, what advice would you give his 2 daughters as they grow up in the White House?
(400 words/65pts)

83 comments:

MattyC said...

man i wrote this blog last week. lol

Meg Song said...

WHATTTTTT!!!! FIRST BLOGGGG?!?!?! OMGOSH LIKE NOOOOOOO WAY!!!!!!
=P

So…you know how I usually have a song to go with my blogs…haha, the only one I can think of for this one is:

“OBAMAOBAMAOBAMA O O O OBAMAOBAMAOBAMA”

Okay, so on that note…Mr. Obama. I cooould advise him to get a nose job….or I cooould advise him to buy a naked non-allergenic mole rat….BUT I think I’ll advise him on another thing all together. I’d advise Mr. Obama to focus on our country. I would tell him not to try and help other countries before our country’s problems are solved. Feed yourself before you try to feed the village.

One major thing that blows my mind is how we are constantly helping other countries without first making sure everyone gets “the American Dream.” That’s why everyone wants to be here right? I think Obama is already off to a good start, having so many citizens already in his favor due to his talents and excellent speechmenship. (That should so be a word..)

So when I see him, I’ll say:

Hey Mista Prez, whazzz good?! (JUST KIDDING BUNJE.)

I actually am not sure how I would present this idea to him; it would probably end up being off the top of my head.

Now, in terms of my future, I have no idea. I am at a loss for words, which does not happen often. I think I would ask him to make SAT test illegal in the United States. Yep, that is what I’d ask. ILLEGAL. I think he’ll have the majority vote in his favor. (The teenage majority that is.) It’ll eliminate oh-so-much stress from the lives of teens who are already stressing about college applications and recommendations and jobs. No need to add extra stress to something we probably won’t need in our futures. It’s just not worth all the suffering. (Especially if you’re Asian.) If he could accomplish the abolishment of SATs, I swear, he will be my new savior.

For the two daughters, I’m going to advise them not to get a big head. They are still very young, and still very impressionable. Suddenly, they find themselves being the daughters of the first black president?! That could lead to more than a little conceitedness. Hopefully though, they will not let all their influence go to their pretty little heads. Hopefully, they will grow to be respectable young ladi-whoa…I sound like my parents. I’ll just leave it on that note then before I frighten myself even more.

An Ancient Chinese Proverb once said…

… … … … … … I’ll tell you when I figure out how to translate Chinese.

Devon P. said...

There is something about Obama that makes him seem so down to earth. It's almost as if I could walk past him in ShopRite, give a friendly smile and wave, and receive a cordial, "Hello" back. I like that. I wish that more celebrities had that quality of normalness, so to speak. Now that Obama is President, I pray that he holds on to that, that he doesn't forget what it's like to be an everyday American walking down the street. I hope that he can retain the true feelings and emotions and sufferings of his neighbors. The advice I would give him is to hold on to that humility and to never lose sight of where he came from. This will be the key to his success more than anything else. As long as Obama can remember what it's like to be a citizen of this great country, he can do no wrong. Although all the cliche traits- strength, wisdom, courage, compassion, generosity- are important, I would not preach these bits of advice to Obama. Obviously he already possesses them, or else he would not be standing where he is now. Obama is already an outstanding leader, now I just hope that he remembers his outstanding constituents.

As far as my own future is concerned, the economy is my main concern. I'm scared that my dad will keep losing money in the stock market, because that's the reason I haven't gotten a car. And my college funds, I want them to stay secure so that I'm not dealing with a huge bill when college is over. I want the job market to flourish so that I will have a greater chance at success and finding a job. I want the economy to be fixed and I want the stresses associated with money to be alleviated. That's the biggest personal concern I have. Of course there are many other things that I hope Obama can accomplish, yet they don't concern my immediate future.

Obama has two adorable little daughers, and a part of me is sad for them. Sad because they are at such a vulnerable age. I fear that they will forever be in the lime light, thrown into a life that maybe they don't want. They are too little to really truly understand what's going on. If I were their parents, I would make sure that they knew where they came from, that they wouldn't get caught up in materialistic objects. I would assure them that it's healthy to make mistakes, and just because 27340848 newspapers will cover their every move, they shouldn't let that affect their actions. I would encourage them to grow strong and proud.

Leonor =) said...

Oh how I loathe this blog. Grrrr! Sorry. I’m just not too fond of government. But this doesn’t really have to do that much with the processes in government so maybe I’ll like it. =/

The president has power, as any American resident knows and I acknowledge that the dude made history but the man can’t fix everything that’s gone wrong with the nation. Everyone has to pitch in and help to make the country better for all of us. That’s the basis that our country was founded on. Obama is obviously a great speaker. Hopefully he will use his special talent to unite us all as we were around 9-11 so that maybe we can save ourselves from our debilitating economy.

Even though I took government last year I don’t know anything about the economy. I know it’s pretty bad and what not but I wouldn’t know the math to fix it. I’d rather clean my room than do my math homework and I hate cleaning. I’m not dirty but I’m perfectly fine if four piles of useless papers accumulate on my floor.

Anyways what advice would I give Obama? Hmmmm…

“Do what you think is best for the country. We are willing to unclench our fist if you help us sooner rather than later. Unite us with your way with words. And when you have our attention really listen to what we have to say. We aren’t as stupid as everyone thinks we are.”

Next part. By” your” do you mean me? Okay then.

“By helping others you are in turn helping me so just help the country and I’ll be content. I don’t really need anything else, unless you want to be the next Oprah and pay for college then by all means share the wealth.”

Cool. I like this last part. Oops! I don’t even know their names. Oh well I’ll just refer to them as the first daughters. Or not! HaHa!

“My darlings you will have the best of times and the worst of times growing up in the White House. You will be constantly surveyed by the secret service and the American public will judge every move you make. But don’t worry you will get to meet new people and visit places you never new existed. Just relax and have fun. Enjoy the time you have in the White House. Make finger paint murals in the Red Room. Scuff the floors of the West Wing. Clog the toilet with play dough. Do whatever your little devious minds desire. =)”

Bye!

Leonor =) said...

Devon P.,

I just wanted to say "Awwwwwwww" during your entire blog. I think it's so cute and only a sweetheart such as your self could have written it. I'm still smiling. And nice advice. HaHa that rhymes.

Night peoples!

Danny P said...

I may be opening a can of worms here, but why the Oprah hate?

Bunje said...

Dan--I liken Oprah to a cult leader...she says something, thousands of people coo over her advice as though it was the most insightful utterance they ever heard. Most of it is common sense, much comes from other people with whom she consults but does not credit, and the rest is balderdash and gibberish. She caters to those who feel as though they are not worthy enough, not strong enough, not empowered enough to do and think and feel on their own. And, although she does good things in the way of charitable contributions, most of her financial support is limited to foreign countries and childern who reside there. She works and broadcasts out of Chicago, and if you have ever been to the SE side of Chi-town, you know that there is plenty of poverty-stricken, homeless, hungry and non-educated kids there that she could just as easily help. However, THEN she would not get as much of a tax credit so....
In a nutshell, that's why...sorry to all O-fans.

Devon P. said...

hahaha Bunje that was very similar to a Maegan-Reese-rant :)

"I’d advise Mr. Obama to focus on our country. I would tell him not to try and help other countries before our country’s problems are solved. Feed yourself before you try to feed the village."
-Meg Song

Megan I completely agree with you on this one. I'm one of those people that firmly believes in bettering the United States before we reach out and cater to other countries. I too hope that Obama can fix our internal issues.

Stumpy LC said...

Oprah is not a cult leader! She's just magical. Being magical does not make you a cult leader! Sleeping with Satan makes you one! RAWRS!

Molly G said...

Oh, Obama. I will admit, I was a bit disappointed when he won the primary. But I got over it. I studied up on his policies and view for our country, and I do believe he is heading us in the right direction. For most of the country, this transition was one that was eagerly looked forward to. Finally our country can have someone else step up to the plate, and fix what has been ruined for the past eight dreadful years. We are all hopeful, waiting what good he will bring us. Then, there are the dumb low-life’s that think he is a terrorist. (Really?)
Obama,
First off, great job. You have battled one of the hardest primary elections in the history of our country. You finally got our country to come together, learn a little something about politics, and got children interested in the future. The future is looking good if you can get millions of citizens off their butts, and into something passionate, even if they weren’t a supporter of yourself.
My advice, just as Devon said, is to keep a bit of yourself, your charm, your open mind with your throughout these four long years. You will be surrounded by people that support you, and that will back you up in every situation. But there will always be those few wise-asses that think they know the correct answer to ever question. Don’t pay attention to the haters, because they are the people that will rarely go places in life. Just remember where you came from. I still want to be able to watch the news four years from now, and see you spending quality time with your family, staying true to yourself.
Obama, I also want you to do what’s right for our country. Economically, we have been driven into a whole that we can’t seem to get out of. I want to be able to have money to go to college, I want to be able to get a job when I graduate, I want to be able to support my family without having to work three jobs. Obama, you need to step up. Our country needs a leader that is a man. (Not in the gender sense, but the mental sense. We can still have a woman president! But we need someone that can stand up for what they think is right, whether others agree or not.)
I also want you to consider universal health care, yes it may be a stretch, but just think about it. You look at other countries like France and Canada, and the quality of health care that they get is remarkable, and there aren’t dying women in the street because they can’t afford the co-pay for their medicine. Thanks. :)
Obama wrote a letter to his two daughters, which when I read it, made me realize how qualified he is for this job. Obama doesn’t want to be president for the power aspect, but because he wants to make our country better. He said something along the lines of only having to send people to war if it was extremely necessary, which I agree with completely.
For the adorable Obama daughters, I want you to keep your innocence. There will be horrible words printed about your father in the press, degrading things said about your family, and outrageous rumors spread about yourselves, but stay strong. You know your father, better than all of America, so don’t believe the negatives that people have to say. Remember where you came from, you are two little girls from Chicago, you in no way should grow a fat head, and think you are better than the rest of America, stay humble. But most of all have fun. You have the opportunity to live in the white house, have amazing birthday parties, eat all the chocolate cake, and continue to be a kid for as long as possible.
Obama, this is your time. Lead our country into a time of prosperity.

Toni M said...

All I’ve been talking about with both my general manager and shift manager is about government and the fricken inauguration. Johnny Rockets gave out 10% off Chili coupons because supposedly Obama LOVES chili.. Go figure ( Is that even true?! I have yet to look this up). I understand this is a historical moment, but I’m extremely fearful of what’s to come for the next four years. Everyone has their story of how government and the Bush administration has done their family wrong or made life harder, but who is really to say Obama will make it better?
In the eyes of Obama, I’d simply give him the advice to not set up high standards just to allow himself to fall and not get caught up into everyone’s expectations. He’s the man in charge. Therefore, it’s his job to make the priority list and decipher the rankings among the issues at hand. He just needs to hang in there tightly. The presidency has no job training as mentioned before.
I don’t really believe in asking for anything from the president. This just reminds me of how we are the entitlement generation. Of course I hope I’m not in a tremendous amount of debt because of student loans and such, but obstacles like those will only teach me and force me to budget every penny that comes through my household. It’s like that for people now. My sister being one of them. She works three jobs just to pay her mortgage and to live some what comfortably financially. I just hope our country can find stability as a whole.
I can’t even imagine having a father who is or was the president. His daughters should stay humble, act respectful, and count their blessing each and every day. They should be extremely proud of their father for overcoming what seems like odds. Obama defied logic. Who would have ever actually thought we would see the day that an ethnic man would become our president? Even discussing the possibility in AP Government, it was like always a “no way” type deal with me. Not being his culture or ethnicity, but a lot of different factors like his experience and the lack of years he has under neither his belt. His two girls should just be amazed at the emotional connection their father has been able to have with the public and his determination within his career and his intentions.

JH said...

I’m already going to assume that most of you will probably bring enough pessimism about the government into the blog, so I’ll cut myself short.

I didn’t like either of the two candidates that ran. I’m a libertarian, so figures that neither of them would even try to reach out to us minorities. I personally loved Dennis Kucinich, but the chances of him getting elected were about the same as the Eagles winning the Superbowl (which were slim to none).

Anywho, Obama is a lot more liberal than McCain, so if I had to choose, I would have picked him. I still don’t see eye to eye on most issues, but I found more of a connection to him then I did to McCain. Plus, Sarah Palin annoys the hell out of me.

That’s not to say I love Obama. I really don’t. I’ve never really bought into the whole hype surrounding him, because to me, he’s just another politician. Yes, it’s remarkable what’s he’s done to American spirit and history, but let’s try to toss that aside. People treat him like the second coming of Jesus, and I really don’t see why. I guess all this “hope” has to come from somewhere.
Sorry to burst the bubbles of any Obama fans here.

I’d like to reiterate that I’m probably somewhere in the middle. I don’t hate him, nor do I lick his shoes. He’s a politician, nothing more. Praise the wholeness of net neutrality, then go appoint a RIAA lawyer into the Justice Department.
Maybe that means nothing, maybe I’m being pessimistic, but I’m not sold on him. Is he another lying hypocrite? I hope not. But hey, what the people don't know can't hurt them right?

I do however, think he’ll do a good job leading the country. That I feel pretty confident about; his leadership abilities. The way he organizes and calls people to action is scary as shit. He reminds me of Hitler (don’t take this comparison out of context). His voice is grand, yet eerily dreamy. He’s very captivating.

I think I’ve danced around the question enough now. My advice for him is to not lose sight of the ideals that earned the vote of millions. Don’t become another Washington fat cat. It’s your integrity that got you to where you are, so don’t throw it away. Other than that, put every effort into getting America out of this economic and social cesspool.

I wish you luck, Mr. Smith.

Toni M said...

Devon
"The advice I would give him is to hold on to that humility and to never lose sight of where he came from. This will be the key to his success more than anything else. As long as Obama can remember what it's like to be a citizen of this great country, he can do no wrong."

I agree with you here. Your whole blog is really well written. Even if someone doesn't have a huge accomplishment with them like becoming president, everyone could have some humility. People tend to forget the past that they came from because a lot of times it's not a pretty one. Reflecting from the past can never hurt, since it will only open your eyes larger.

JH said...

And oh yeah, the daughters. I feel terrible for them. It's child exploitation if you ask me. I guess my only advice for them would be to stay out of the limelight the best they can...

Matt W said...

What could I possibly have to say or tell Obama that would even be worth his time? I am merely seventeen and have barely even begun to experience life. He has been through so much that if we compared our knowledge physically his would be a mountain and mine a rock…okay maybe not that extreme but you get the point. With that said however, that little rock of knowledge I posses could all be things he doesn’t know, unlikely but possible. As evident by his numerous speeches his skills in terms of rhetoric are phenomenal, so there is no advice I could give him there but so much I could learn from him. What else is there, hmm? He seems realize his roots and does not seem like one to become caught up in the glamour and glory that comes along with being under the spotlight, so “ixnay” that idea. Despite his amazing qualifications and knowledge, I do think there are a few pointers that I have picked throughout my time at the good ol’ Oak that could be applied to everyday life.

The most important piece of advice I could really to our new president is don’t let hate get to you. As much as we try to deny it, there is racism still running rampant, although not as severe, in the US. It takes both the obvious and “closet” forms in people. But whatever form, it is obvious when you see, hear, or experience it in anyway. “Don’t let that get to you,” I would relay. “It is not worth becoming enraged over and those people need a reality check. There are, unfortunately, idiotic bigots still in this world that we have to deal with on a daily basis. Set a good example for all those who are picked on by not reacting with violence or hateful thoughts/words; turn the other cheek. I know it can be hard but you can do it, you proven how strong you are by overcoming so many walls and divisions. Just keep presenting that message of MLK Jr. ‘Non-violent resistance’. In the end, it will be all the much better.”

The second piece of advice, which is really like two in one (yea bonus!), is don’t forget to have fun along the way. The presidency is one of, if not, the most stressful jobs in the world! The toll it will take on you physically, emotionally, and mentally is enough to make even the strongest of people become loons. Enjoy the journey and hope the destination becomes clear along the way. Play with your daughters once in a while, do something romantic with your wife, embark on a new journey as a family and savor ever moment of it because once it is over there is no coming back. Overall, have fun; enjoy the perks of being the president, in a sensible way of course (meaning don’t go to war for a million years, raising the budget deficit to 11 trillion dollars, oh wait it is too late for that, thanks Bush. Sorry to all the Bush fans…Sergei). And remember, it’s not the destination but the journey.

Lastly, I would advise him to remember our country first. It is awesome that we as one of the biggest and wealthiest (well, not anymore) countries try to act like “big brother” and help the less fortunate countries. Unfortunately, we have all of the same problems (disease, poverty, and homelessness) here, in the US, as those third world countries. It is important that we help ourselves before attempting to help others. I know there are political reasons why we should but if we continue down this path, the United States will quickly lose its zeal and power. Its like lifeguards, if they can’t protect themselves, then they can’t save their target. Same idea with the U.S., if we keep dealing money and food and medication to other countries, that will leave us with nothing, and if we have nothing we can’t help others. It may sound selfish but it really is not, it is to ensure the longevity and prolificacy and make sure we can be around it someone needs a hand every now and then.

In terms of my future, all I ask is that Obama do as he sees fit when it comes to getting us out of this deep, deep, deep, deep, deep finical hole. I have faith that he will get the job done and do it right, I hope this is not blind faith but I really think he has the knowledge and power to get things done right. I trust just like everyone else I first meet. I gave him a clean slate since the beginning of this election and so far he has only proven that he is a wonderful and awe-inspiring person.

As for his daughters, I would advise them not to let the limelight go to their heads. So many times have I scene child stars or celebrities, and lets face it that’s what they are now, go off the deep end because of their five seconds of fame. Don’t try to put yourselves into the light, be yourself. Remember where you came from and how you got here. Make sure to keep your dad sane and make him have a little fun every now and then. Savor the time you have in the White House because more likely than not you’ll never be back again. Oh and one more thing, in case any one asks you, you can most definitely see Russia from Alaska :-)

I think president Obama will have his weak moments like any person does but what and how he handles them is what I think will define him from the rest.

Anonymous said...

Four hundred words seems like such an impossible number today. I’ll try to distract my aching hands and write strictly on the subject of my advice for our president.

If I got a chance to speak to Obama, that would make for an amazing story. If I got the chance to speak to Obama, how long would it even be for? If I got the chance to speak to Obama, would I really have the nerve to give him advice? If I had the chance to speak to Obama, would I really have it in me to ask him to do something for me? I’m going to go with this one and pretend like the answers to those questions are all positive ones.
If I were to get a chance to speak to Obama, I would advise him one thing and one thing only: don’t forget to remember. It hurts worse than ever to be left a hazy shadow in the crowd, standing alongside all of the things and the people that are thought to be so important. These things seem like they’re of the most importance in the world, thus they are your main focus. When it’s all better, they still will be your focus, to ensure they stay “perfect”, that is. While you are busy perfecting the lives of others, you’ll ruin the lives you care about most in this world. Kindness can kill, you know. Stay balanced, do what you can for humanity, but also do for Barack.
I am, of course, speaking of the recession that our country is supposed to be in. I am talking about the threat of a lost nation that poses this country each and every day.
“And Barack, when you’re busy saving this world, don’t forget about your world,”
As for the next part to the question, I’m not quite sure what my answer should be. Is the “right” answer that I would ask for student loans to decrease, real estate to even out, world peace, and sunshiny-rainbows? All of that stuff is very important, indeed, but isn’t that obvious? Don’t you think everyone wants that? I would ask a general question, in a sense; I would ask a personal favor in another. I might ask would ask that the future be somewhere that America would want to live for. A time of progress and success. A happy time for this country; a time that we as Americans so often seem to take in vein. I would ask him to loosen the nooses, dull the blades, and cushion the concrete falls of our nation.
“Be the one Barack, the one to save us. Please? “
Being convincing while begging was never my strong suit, though…

To the daughters:
I can’t imagine what living in the Whitehouse would be like. Have fun, have the time of your lives. Support your mother, support your father, and support each other. Every road taken in such a large group will have its rough patches. Just don’t let the aching throb of the worst of times diminish the lively pulse of the best of times.
-D. Aponte

Matt W said...

Jani:
"He reminds me of Hitler (don’t take this comparison out of context). His voice is grand, yet eerily dreamy. He’s very captivating."

I definitely understand where your coming from. His inauguration had the most people in attendance...EVER! His ability to gather and untied the masses is both scary and amazing. Hopefully though he will use this for the betterment of our country.

Anonymous said...

Leonor:

I liked your take on the blog. It was laid back, loose, and fun. I especially laughed when you said: “I don’t really need anything else, unless you want to be the next Oprah and pay for college then by all means share the wealth.” (side note: do I have comma fever because my fingers are itching to insert two of them right now) Also, what are the odds of us using best and worst of times in the same paragraph? I guess we’re cliché writers. (Kidding) It wasn’t planned though, I promise!

jennifer p said...

Oh lord. I agree with Deana, 400 words seems nearly impossible at this moment. How I dread writing about politics, and even more so: Obama.

Let's see. In the next 4 years I'll be in college. Specifically, I'll be earning my undergrad in Zoology or Biology. From there I'll be going on to another 4 years to get my Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine. Am I going to be concerned about who our President is at the time, or even what his plans are? As of now, not at all. If I feel as though our country is heading in a downward spiral and we're ultimately doomed, I'll go to Alaska, Canada, or Australia or somewhere in peace. But I'd just like to see the person I want to be in office win, FOR ONCE. But of course that'll never happen.

The most I learned in AP Gov last year was that the President is just a figurehead. After learning that, I focused and researched more on (now former) President Bush, and I actually gained a lot of respect for him and sympathized for him. With all the shit he had to deal with, people shouldn't blame him for making some bad decisions because there really weren't any easier routes. And the president doesn't have all the control, Congress mostly does. But I'm not in the mood to go on a long tirade about our government and defending what they do, because it's pointless and I don't really care that much for it.

Now, I'm going to try and make this as succinct as possible. If I were to speak one on one with President Obama (makes me cringe), I would advise him to follow his instincts. Most of the time people get so emotionally caught up in what's going on in our world and economy that they begin to overanalyze every situation. I'm sure if he were to just go with his gut feelings on things and carry on from there, he'd begin to realize how much more rational his thoughts will begin to unfold. He shouldn't let the fame hinder his capacities, either. He's already worshipped like a prophet from God or something, but he can't let the thoughts and wants of others affect his cogent decision-making abilities.

In terms of my future, just don't send us into a WWIII and I'll be fine with whatever else happens. The prosperity of our economy is always going to be changing, and I don't expect things to be going great, especially any time soon. I just want to survive.

And to his daughters, live it up. Enjoy yourselves, enjoy going to new places, enjoy being flooded by swarms of people and guarded by secret police. Enjoy having no privacy and not a very "childlike" childhood. Just gain as much as you can from the experience because it'll be a great story to tell your grandchildren.

Carly C said...

First off, I am very happy Obama is now the president. I believe, like everyone, that Obama will bring a new perspective to the corrupted politics and he will offer American’s an improved life from over the last eight years. I wish I could have been at the inauguration and I am actually super jealous of my sister. Still, watching him take the oath and give his incredibly honest and motivational speech was incredible. The reactions of people was truly remarkable and it’s great that everyone has so much faith in this one man.
I would have to agree with Molly and Devon on the advice they gave to Obama. He is a very charismatic man who appeals to the public because he is ‘just like us’. He grew up as a regular American boy and suffered the same economic and life problems that almost everyone encounters in their life. As his term goes on, I hope Obama keeps what makes him unique from other politicians and respected by the people of America. The other big piece of advice that I would give Obama is to stay true to what he believes in. Although now, everyone is in love with Obama, soon if the stock market continues its drought or the war takes longer to get out of, the public will jump on the bandwagon and bash the actions of Obama. In these situations, I want Obama to keep his ideals and not try to appeal to the people. He was chosen to be the President of our country because he has the characteristics and intelligence to lead our country through the worst and best of times. His decisions will be the right ones if he follows what he believes in and works to better our country and not necessarily please the public.
If I could ask Obama for one thing to help my future it would be to promise me that life economically will be okay. I’m afraid that our country will be in so much debt soon that money will be taken directly from the people. Although this probably won’t happen for a while, I would like Obama to work with the future in mind as well as the present. I hope that Obama will be able to fix what our country lost in the last eight years and restore the faith of the American people. I hope that he can ensure that I would get a great education and I will have opportunities to experience what I learn around the world. I would like Obama would open up even more to other countries and allow cultures to be shared and experienced by everyone around the world.
The Obama family seems like a very close-knit family. The two daughters I would give the obvious advice. I hope that they are able to live a somewhat ‘average’ life and experience the daily life of a teenager as a rite of passage. They live in possibly the biggest house in our country and I encourage them to find their own paths and be kids. They can get in trouble every once in a while and act like a teenager without the worries of what other people will say about them. I hope that they grow to understand their mother and father’s role in our country and gather their own perspectives and opinions about what goes on in their world. I hope that they take advantage of what they have and to not get wrapped up in the obvious fame and celebrity lifestyle that they will encounter. Basically, I want the daughters to build their own experiences and find who they are without getting caught in what the media and public expects of them.

Carly C said...

'I think president Obama will have his weak moments like any person does but what and how he handles them is what I think will define him from the rest.'

Matt: Very good point. There are great expectations for Obama and living up to them and handling things in the right way will determine how sucessful he will be and the honesty of his character.

Linds C said...

Mr. Obama congratulations on your huge recent accomplishment. With this accomplishment I would like to compliment you on your amazing speaking abilities. I know that what you say is from your heart, and I understand that you care about this country to a level that is not detectable on any rector scale. I know your abilities will be a refreshing mix in our history, and already you’ve shown that you’re going to make history for more than just being the first black president. My advice to you would be to keep your head, you’re a hard working U.S Citizen and never forget that is where you came from. Presidents can be so swept up In the position and the amount of pressure it entails but some of the best presidents were the best because they never lost sight of background. It is important to stay connected with the people in which you represent, and in dealing with other countries to remember who America is and what we stand for. You are allowed to make your own definition but remember the founding fathers and remember the presidents before you. I know that the economy is lacking, and you’re coming into this presidency with a lot in stake. What you have in stake is a huge burden. The choices you make will not only affect the people of today, but the future of tomorrow which is our children. I admire and love your leadership. Your leadership is far beyond anything I have gotten to experience since I was capable of coherently thinking. Your intelligence is uncanny and use that for good power is an ugly thing sometimes it takes intelligent, good people and turns them into new people that are different and aren’t beneficial. Power is a beautiful thing when put into the right hands, and I do believe it is in the right hands. As for Oprah and the rest of the media keep them out of your life. Kick them out of your life immediately. I know that Oprah helped you a great deal in your election, but enough is enough. You have to become the president now, and break away from the lime light. You want to be more of JFK and less of a Clinton. It is extremely important to me that you get away from all the media attention you’ve been grabbing, especially with your children. There is too much to be thinking about politically and for our world you can’t let people nor organizations like the media get in the way. You have a family and a country to run and be a part of. The media is like poison in both those aspects of life. I wish you the best of luck because no matter what my opinion is I want you to do a good job, because right now you hold the key to the future.
To your adorable little girls, stay innocent. Stay out of the limelight and stay true to your family. Your family is so important and it is so important to grow up as normal as you can. I know that your dads the president, and well how cool is that?! Yet, I wish for you to inherit his leadership and his courage. His leadership is something that you can take as a gift and learn form because even if you don’t want to be president you can utilize the gift of leadership. Stay innocent, love life, and learn from the brilliant leadership of your father, and the strength of your mother.

Meg-
I think I would ask him to make SAT test illegal in the United States. Yep, that is what I’d ask. ILLEGAL. I think he’ll have the majority vote in his favor. (The teenage majority that is.) It’ll eliminate oh-so-much stress from the lives of teens who are already stressing about college applications and recommendations and jobs.
I love you, and I totally agree with you. SAT is a crappy way to judge peoples skills. If he could fix that I would most likely ask him that too. He already wants to fix the BCS standings in college football so why not go all the way in and fix the SAT system too? Awesome blog and I totally agreed what you were saying the entire time.

Anonymous said...

After such a milestone in our country’s history, shouldn’t I have some sort of feeling towards what just happened? Probably, but I still haven’t found it in me to pay too much attention to politics. I know it’s stupid because this man will affect the next four years of my life to a great extent; those of which will be with out a doubt the most important. But not even that seems to convince my stubborn “I hate politics” attitude.

Nevertheless, Obama is now our 44th president. No ifs ands or butts. And this poor guy is in a very difficult position right now. Our economy sucks, the war is still going on, and everyone expects him to fix all these problems, as well as others, pronto. Hate to break it to you America, but it can’t all be fixed in the amount of time we want it to. But if I could advise Obama in any way, I would make sure he understood the importance of his job to not only attempt make things better, but to keep America hopeful. Yeah, that sounds a bit dramatic, but we could be on the verge to another depression if we all begin to panic. I know that the president doesn’t have as much control as people think he does, Congress ultimately has the power. But I would anticipate that with his talent in speaking, he would instill this hope in the country and ensure that we are on the way up, not down.

The well being of our country’s economy is definitely the concern I have for my future. I’m going to be going to college in less than two years, so I don’t want to be worrying if my savings accounts have a big I-OWE-YOU written on them. I want our entire country to feel secure, money-wise, so jobs open up for people who need them, like myself. I would love for my mom to be able to stop stressing about the bills and feel like she doesn’t have to be so tight with her money. There are other concerns I have that I wish for Obama to consider, but this issue will surely affect my immediate future.

My advice to Obama’s young girls is simple: keep an open mind. Seriously, living in the White House is going to be crazy. Not only will you be in the entire countrys’ view a lot of the time, you have to live with the secret service at your side 24/7 (everyone saw My Date With The President’s Daughter, right? Haha). But despite the negatives, imagine all the new people you’ll meet and the places you’ll go. You’ll look back and be able say, “Yeah, I lived in the White House, and I had some of the best and worst times of my life.” You’ll surely have some stories to tell.

Anonymous said...

Meg Song-

LOL to your song.
And I COMPLETELY agree with the whole "make the SATS illegal!" They suck. Plus, I admire what advice you gave to his daughters, I never would have thought of that. That would definiely help them not only now, but later in their life.

<3

Sarah C said...

MBD, just for clarification, "sleeping with Satan" makes you an old-timey/evil witch, not a cult leader. (During Middle Ages, alleged "witches" were considered to be the brides of Satan, much like nuns were considered the brides of God, or "married to the church." Also see movie The Witches of Eastwick.)

Sarah C said...

Also, MBD, heads up, but I will probably be the only one to dignify your strange little post with an answer.

Also, I'm really neutral when it comes to Oprah (aka, I don't care AT ALL), but I'm pretty sure she's not magical. However, since your recent injuries, your brain may not be functioning correctly, so I'll let it slide.

Sarah C said...

I have some simple, obvious advice for Obama. Don't get involved in any form of scandal. At all. Just don't do it. I know people keep saying that nothing can be worse than Bush, but there can always be worse. So do your job right and be sure to make plenty of speeches, because when you talk, the majority of the American population follows you with more persistence and loyalty than Jani chasing a cheese steak.

I know this sounds selfish, but if I asked Obama for anything, it would probably the same as I would ask any well-funded person. I would as for a large college fund. Because I just looked up the costs of different colleges, and I'm telling you, I'm going to need some serious dinero. Like, take whatever I have in my bank account and multiply that by at least 50.

Anyway.

To Obama's daughters, I would say, just try to live as normal a life you possibly can. I know normal may be a little impossible while living in the White House.

Leonor, I just saw that you had the college thing too! Great minds think alike, I guess.

Meg Song, I love how you put the Obama chant in your blog. If I was voting age, I probably would have voted for Obama, but hearing that one song/chant over and over and over and over in the hallways and EVERYWHERE was really annoying the crap out of me. Your blog made me see the funny side of the Obama song again.

Hayley A said...

Oh, government. My favorite topic, especially after AP government last year… Not really. Frankly, I despise everything about government now. Mr. Sera pretty much made everyone who is involved in politics to be a liar, so what’s the point in even bothering? Apparently all the candidates are lying to us, so what are we supposed to believe? It saddens me to see that everyone is so gullible, and so easily lured with Obama’s words. Hitler’s speeches were amazing, as well. Not saying they aren’t remarkable because that’s where my vote would have gone also, but some people’s votes for him/ against him unfortunately revolve around his race. I would like nothing more than to punch the idiot that screamed, “White power,” in the cafeteria. Seriously? Is this what our world has come to? I know the first African-American has just been inaugurated into the white house, but to vote for/ against him because of his background is ridiculous. He is an extremely intelligent man, and it shouldn’t matter what race or sex someone is where politics is concerned.

And with Obama’s eloquent words, our country is now coming together as a whole. Our country is not in good shape at this time. We need a great leader, someone to help us get back on our feet once again. Obama, as of yesterday, officially has the power to achieve this goal for America. I feel for Obama, though. There is so much pressure on him right now. Everyone expects him to be some miracle-worker, but our economy isn’t going to stabilize within the next month, everyone’s not going to get their jobs back that quickly, and we’re not going to get out of this war anytime soon. Time, smart choices, and leadership is what it’s going to take to better our country.

If I were to speak with Obama, I would advise him to stick to his own ideals. I would tell him not to lose himself along the journey of his presidency and to not be influenced by the corruption of those around him. Remember those times when you wanted to make a difference on the world, what you wanted to fix, and what needs to be fixed in our country. Now you have that chance. Bear in mind what you promised those who voted for you.

The economy is my primary concern. I want to have enough money for my family and myself to feel secure. I don’t want a humongous bill to deal with after college, so hopefully I will have enough to pay for it. I’ve already lost over 1,000 of my own dollars that I’ve earned, and I’m hoping not to lose anymore. I want to have a prosperous career when I get out of college, but that’s probably going to be difficult with the thousands upon thousands of people losing their jobs as we speak. For my future, I hope for the economy to flourish and the job market to prosper.

To Obama’s daughters, I advise them to not lose their childhood. Don’t get caught up in the limelight. Enjoy your time as a kid and don’t be afraid to make mistakes. Expect millions of people to say negative things about your father, but just remember that you know him better than any of those people do. Be humble, and respectful to those around you.

Hayley A said...

Devie-
I really liked your blog a lot. It was well-written and we seem to think alike about several things! Your blog was much more insightful however. :)

Sara-
Hahaha. The whole time I was thinking of what advice I would give Obama's two daughters, I was thinking of that movie too!

Sarah C said...

I have a cold and for whatever reason, with this cold, random and diverse foods smell like meatloaf, while other foods taste like cinnamon. I had grilled cheese a few days ago, and it tasted like cinnamon, and since I made it, I know there wasn't any cinnamon in it. Then my dad made chicken chow mein, and it smelled just like meatloaf. This is by far the strangest cold I've ever had.

BrendanA said...

If I had some face time with Obama, what advice would I give to him? Now, I understand that this is an AP class, and AP students generally think they're smarter than any adult they've ever met short of their own parents and a few choice AP teachers. However, I think this is a little different. I'd just like to say that if I got any time to speak with President Obama, the last thing on my mind would be advice to give. I don't hold even the tiniest belief that I have something important I could tell him that he doesn't already know. My two biggest issues in politics are religion and video games. I am in the far, far minority with religion, and I doubt Obama cares about video games.

Still, Obama did buy his family a Wii for the family room!

You know what? I guess I do have advice for Obama. There are a lot of terrible games for the Wii that he could buy his family. I would advise him, despite having two young daughters, to stay away from anything with the Disney Channel, Barbie, or Hello Kitty brand, as far as games go. There are plenty of good toys and movies (sorta) for these brands, but no good games. The same goes for games based on children's movies. Even small children can tell when a game is B-A-D bad. I would suggest he buy Boom Blox, Stephen Spielberg's deceptively simple game. In addition, Obama has a family of 4, which makes for instant bandmates in Rock Band and the new Guitar Hero. Super Mario is always a good choice, so anything with him in it, even mario party...

Okay, I'm rambling. Moving on.

For my future? Once again, I feel like I'd be overstepping my boundaries. I think I'll be fine with college, but if he could magically fix the economy by the time I get out, that'd be great. It's possible. If he can't do that, I'd at least want to feel secure in my future. He should at least divert a billion out of federal funds to my personal checking account. That way I can live safe and secure, regardless of the economy.

As for the president's daughters, I couldn't say too much. How old are they? 8 and 11? Stay out of drugs, if you can see your ribs you're ugly-skinny, and maybe a few games they could get for their Dses that their father so wisely bought them. Other than that, I can't really think of anything.

Danny P said...

Advice to the President, eh? About what I think should be done, eh? Well, I hate using an excess of 'Me's and 'I's, so I'll do this interview transcript style.

Location: The Oval Office
Time: Lunchtime

Dan: So, Mr. President, I'd like to say congratulations on the whole president thing, but I have a few ideas on what you should look out for.

Obama: How did you get into my office? (He pushes a button on his desk)

D: Don't worry, Mr. President, I'm not here to hurt you. Besides, I already blocked the doors... Anyhow, where were we? Oh yeah, right. You're the president. I don't like it but I'll deal, and here's why. You, as one man alone, can't make much of a difference. But, you stand on a high pedestal. You can get the nation on your side very easily. You are no longer you, you are a movement, an Icon, a Symbol.

O: Young man, you're creeping me the out. (He pushes a more different button on his desk.)

D: I've taken care of the wall panels too, Mr. President. Anyway, you are not you. You're now Obama, not Barack. You will be associated with every single action of Congress while you're here. But that's not the point. The problem with being a symbol is that you're something different to everyone. It's no longer what you do, but what you mean, and people will do crazy-ass things in your name. Remember your goals now, and don't forget them, even if they turn into something terrible. Everyone will want you to be someone you may not want to be. Don't let them change you. Ever. I don't like your ideas, but if you stick to them, at least you've got something if nothing pans out here. I do have to ask one thing though.

O: And that is?

D: Stay away from video games. Their regulation system works, please don't change it. And also, don't go crazy with the whole economic regulation bit. Communism doesn't really seem to work outside of China. And, I know you're the first black president and all, but don't ever forget to give equal rights to all the people. *All* of them, even us white males. Other than that, try something new if you think it will work.

O: You make a lot of sense, young man. What's your name?

D: I have no name. But you may call me V.

O: Very theatrical. But you're still under arrest for imprisoning me against my will. They'll catch you.

D: They'll try.

Time: The next day
Location: Somewhere in the White House. (Classified)

D: Hello Sasha, Malia

S: Who are you? How'd you get in here?

D: In order: a friend, and a series of doors, and tunnels. But that's entirely beside the point.

M: I think we should leave.

D: If you like. I only wanted to talk. I'm here to give you a bit of advice. I know the past first daughters did too, but I wanted to give you my ten cents. Don't let this change you. Obviously if you go into a drug induced coma that's a bad thing for your dad, but it's also bad for you. You can't absorb the spotlight and let it make you something you don't want to be. Don't do what's right for your dad, or what's right for your 'friends,' do what's right for you. If you do, and you remain yourselves, you'll attract like-minded friends by default. The Obama fame will get you a circle of friends you may not want. But if you don't succumb to what they want you to be, they'll go away, fleeing to their money and cheap pleasures.

S: Is that all?

D: Hmm... Yep! And now, I bid you adieu. I think the secret service might be on their way again. Bye! (I wave cheerfully as I depart.)

Whelp, that's about the advice I would give, and how I think it would go over. I don't needs no stinking press pass.

And now for something completely different: Oprah may be a cult leader, but at least she's well intentioned. Don't really see Oprah making with the axe murders. Plus, important healthcare topics on there. Important information. *shudder shudder*

And now for something directed at Janiru: It's a fair point on that comparison. His power to get people behind him and get people excited, and captivated, to use your words, in unquestioned. Now to hope he uses that power for good, unlike the other half of your comparison. Also, Godwin's law was remarkably quick to take effect here. Creepy.

Kelly N said...

Obama. Obama. Obama. Obama. Obama. Obama. Obama. Obama. Obama. Obama. Obama. Obama. Obama. Obama. Obama. Obama. Obama. Obama. Obama. Obama. Obama. Obama.
Oh man, Obama...

I have high hopes for our 44th president. Even though our country is in a terrible condition, there is peaceful aura about President Obama that makes me feel secure and safe. I don’t know if it’s his charismatic personality or that darn smile of his, but I trust this man. I also must commemorate for stepping in during such hardships in our country. Today, Mr. Martino said, “You’d be crazy to want to be President right now.” I couldn’t agree more. And seeing Obama step up to plate makes me believe that he is truly here to help our country prosper. I’m certain he already has great head on his shoulder and will do our country much needed good.

However, if I had to give Obama any advice, the conversation would go something like this:
“Keep following your heart. There will constantly be people trying to sway you and use you, but in the end, just listen to your gut. There will also come a breaking point in your presidency where you might want to give up, but I beg that you don’t. Stay strong and calm-headed. It will be a long four years and I understand there is a lot of pressure, but you can do it. Don’t lose yourself because that’s what makes you the great person you are. There is a song i would like you to listen to: Everybody’s Free To Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann. I’m sure it will give you inspiration.”

“Sometimes you’re ahead. Sometimes you’re behind. The race is long.....
Remember the compliments you receive. Forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.”

In terms of my future, I’m mainly worried about the economy like many others. There is a fear that my parents will lose their jobs and will suffer just as much as I will when I leave college, which brings me to another point. I really don’t want to leave college with a large debt dangling over my shoulder. And I’m especially scared that I will not be able to find a job if our economy remains this way. So I would ask Obama to please help us get out of the economic downfall.

Obama’s two little girls are so adorable and innocent. I feel that at the age they are, they won’t have as much trouble coping to their father’s presidency as compared to another girl in their high school years or older. But my advice to them is to stay optimistic. I would also tell them to be tolerant and patient with their father. There is a lot at stake and though they might not understand now, they will later on. Just consider the good that their father is providing to the country. Their dad is a hero.

Matt W said...

Dan:
Your blog was amazing! Truthfully i rarely get to red it but I am glad it did. It was so funny and very well done, i liked the script write out. Overall, very well, done i'll have to keep an eye out for more blogs like that.

Eva B said...

“Sir, you came here young. You ran on your youth, and it brought you victory. Do not forget that.
It won’t take very long for you to find out how deep the netting around the presidency is. The morass of regulations and traditions will almost suffocate you. Please, do not let it cover your head. Do not become part of that swamp. We need someone who won’t blend into the background, who won’t go with the precedent just because the other way is blocked. Take out your axe and hack a way through.
You’ve been given a task meant for a god. I would never inflict it upon anyone. On every hand are people as stubborn as stone, who will not move their stances for any reason. But you choose this task for yourself. If anyone can get them to change and work together, you can.
And don’t forget us. I may be selfish, but I think that education is the most important part of our lives. If we don’t get a college education, we might as well forget about success. No one will look twice at us. I know that schools have huge expenses to pay, but there has to be some solution. People should not start their lives indebted. Community service, maybe? Having students work at the college to pay off their debts before graduation? Something like that must be possible.
You have power, but it is checked at every turn by fools. I only hope that you have the will to resist them for the next four years.”
At this point, I really can’t offer any other advice. He’s more likely to be giving advice to me. Nothing I can say about government would be new to him. After all, he’s been a senator. He knew what he was up against when he decided to run.
So at this point I would turn to the girls, and give them more or less useless advice on movies. “Have you seen the Flight of Dragons? Great film. I think it’s out of print now, but you should be able to find a copy online. The Last Unicorn is also extremely good, and I know you can get it at the local bookstore.” It would go on. They don’t need a lecture on life in the White House. They must be getting from everyone already. They can figure out on their own whether their father is the god the media has made him, or the demon that they will paint him when he stumbles. They are the intelligent children of an intelligent man. They will go far on their own merit. The advice I’ll give them is the same advice I’d give any set of girls that age: watch thought-filled movies, and shop secondhand.

Eva B said...

For some reason, my internet connection always dies on Wensday nights. About when I try to post.
Dan: Great blog. I love the roleplay. Hopefully this will work its way into the campaign you're writing up.
Sarah: That is the weirdest cold I've ever heard of.

Anonymous said...

I think our government is one of the best in the world. It has a system of checks and balances and a bill of rights that protects the people. We have a government of the people, by the people and for the people as Abraham Lincoln once said, and it’s the way every government should be. It is not the infrastructure of the government that bothers me. It’s the political party system we made up over two hundred years ago. George Washington implored that political parties be nullified in his farewell speech as president, because they compromised the beliefs of the men and women in the party. I agree wholeheartedly with the founding father of this great nation. Political parties are the downfall of American politics. Our politicians at every level of government heed to the beck and call of their political party to supposedly appease their constituents and get more votes. Even Barack Obama will magnetically follow the will of the Democratic party to keep the support of his fellow democratic Congressmen. Congressman who are forced to follow the Democratic parties whims so they aren’t forced out of the group., and less likely to get reelected, which is EVERY politicians goal.

It sickens me to think that a politician would vote against their beliefs to appease their political party. Our government has gone from being controlled by the people, to being controlled by the majority party in the House and Senate. If I had the opportunity to speak with President Obama I would tell him to ignore the limitations defined by his affiliated political party, and do whatever he thinks is right. Do not buckle under the pressure of the democrats and do your job, which is to protect and serve the people. I cannot expect Barack Obama to be perfect, and I’m not asking him that. I’m asking him to make decisions that will ultimately help the country, not his reelection campaign four years from now.

Now that I’m done ranting about my animosities towards the government, let’s delve into the most important part of this blog, my own selfish wants.

It’s not set in stone, but I’m most likely going to end up in the medical field after my college endeavor. Medicine means healthcare when it comes to the government, and the idea of universal healthcare has floated around our government’s head for decades. While universal healthcare is a nice thought, the feasibility of it is impossible in this day and age. Healthcare is too expensive, and our nation is in too much debt to add another expense to the list. It is a tremendous challenge, and if it is forced through Congress by the whims of the people it will fail miserably, creating more problems than it solves. It would literally ruin the medical field, and my shot at becoming a doctor. So if I had to ask the President one thing regarding my future, it would be to ditch the thought of universal healthcare until our nation is actually able to support it.

As for the daughters of the president, I can only say one thing to them. Don’t worry, be happy. The pressures of being the presidents daughter is unimaginable for someone their age. I know they want to do everything right and never make a mistake, but the point of growing up is to make mistakes. They are too young and too innocent to be responsible for anything other than their homework and brushing their teeth, and that’s all they should worry about. I would tell them to do what they want, not what they think will make the thousands of people watching them happy. Life’s too short to worry about what other people want, and they should make the best of their time under the spotlight.

Hilary R said...

I was on the fence with this entire election. One day I liked Hillary, one day I liked Obama, and one day I liked McCain (although those days didn't come as frequently ha ha). After spending a year listening to all of the reasons why the government is evil and that ninety-eight percent of politicians are liars, (in the lovely AP government class) I honestly hated the election. All of the commercials were bashing the opposing candidates, or explaining why so-in-so was basically the perfect person, next to Jesus. After studying the "insides" of the government and what makes it tick, it simply didn't interest me. That's terrible to say, but all of the preliminary politics before the general election became really annoying.
Then, after months of bashing the opposing party and desperately persuading the public, Barack Obama was elected to become the fourty-fourth President of the United States; thus, he also became the first African-American President. Originally, I didn't trust Obama (surprise, surprise-- AP government made me paranoid) because he was such an EXCELLENT public speaker. Almost too excellent. But finally, after coming over my prejudices against a way-too-super-smooth talker, I actually listened to what he was saying and liked it. He seemed like a decent guy who was not divulged into the corruptions of the government. He was "young," which is another way of saying inexperienced. However, the more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea of an outsider, so to speak, to rule the country. By "outsider," I mean someone who wasn't directly connected into the government through deep family roots (i.e. George Bush, Hillary Clinton, etc.) It was time for someone new. It was time for change.
If I had face time with Obama, first, I would shake his hand and say, "Good luck, sir." With the economic hole that this country has buried itself in, and all of its complex problems, God bless the man who wants to become head hancho of such a country. As for advice, I would say to be a hard ass. If you have an idea of bettering the country, go for it. Don't depend on the deep-rooted bureaucrats who only care about their paychecks and bettering the people with large pocketbooks. Think of the common man-- the people who, in this situation and economic repression, desperately need the help of the government. Do not hesitate to act accordingly.
As for what I would ask him about my future? Hmm... I would ask him what his economic plans were, and how long it would take to get better. I would ask him what he believes it will be like for the average American within the next four years-- should we get involved in the stock market? How do we know it won't crash? Where should I get loans for college? Which banks can I trust? Also, what is the American army accomplishing in Iraq? And how long will it take for that serious matter to be settled? Ah, so many questions. So, so many.
I feel sort of bad for the Obama children. Of course, their lives will never be the same-- they are the President's children, for goodness sake. Their lives will consist of events, balls, and gatherings in which they will have to be on perfect behavior and smile until their cheeks are sore. My advice is simple- don't forget to be a kid. They are 10 and 6 (I think), and a bulk of their childhood will be spent living in the fantasy-like White House. The younger years are crucial to a little girl's life. I don't want the Obama girls to forget that they are still KIDS, not senators or governors, and should live life accordingly. They are so cute.

Hilary R said...

Mike N.-

It's funny. I see a reoccurring theme amongst the AP government kids of last year... Mr. Sera convinced that politicians are conniving sneaks and liars. However, I felt a little differently when I read this:

"I think our government is one of the best in the world. It has a system of checks and balances and a bill of rights that protects the people. We have a government of the people, by the people and for the people as Abraham Lincoln once said, and it’s the way every government should be."

With our fiery hatred for government that ignited last year, I think it is easy to forget how well off we really are. There are countries who have tyrannical governments that make the lives of its people living hells. There are governments based on communism, which doesn't allow for growth or advances of hard work. There are governments that just don't care about its people; for example, look at Darfur. We are a blessed nation in which its people have some say in the government, which is more than what some people dream of.

Ivan D said...

It was a long road that the now President Barack Obama had taken to be elected. And now, after three short months of “rest”, he now has another journey ahead of him. Will he be known as one of greatest presidents of all time? Or will he simply be known as the first black president? Though both are awe-inspiring, let us hope it is the former. Then again, it isn’t hard being great after what the previous president “brought” to us.

What would I say to him? Well, unlike the person I would give something to in the previous blog, threats of head-explosions won’t work. In fact, it’s an open invitation to getting tossed out of the White House. Permanently. I guess it is time to use words instead of threats of violence. He does seem to be one to listen.

I would simply tell him to think broadly, no matter what. Even if the people he has selected constantly bicker with him, even if they do some illogical and surreal takeover of the White House, to never give into pressure. The people voted for him to become president. Not for his party, his past, and surprisingly, not for his color. He inspired even the most uncaring to vote. He may take advice, but he should never allow the wishes of others to guide him away what is truly right. It is something important, yet, there is a nagging feeling that tells me he already knows something along these lines.

Talking about my future is a bit dull. Seeing as I would already be in college by the time most things would be taking effect, there isn’t much to be said. Even more strangely, the things that likely wouldn’t affect me are what interest me the most. The only thing in the future that may benefit me is the some small reform of our economic system so I won’t be screwed over in the future.

On the other hand, a reform of No Child Left Behind that prevents schools from lowering their standards to pass a test, and possibly finding a way to pay teachers (and pediatricians) more would be nice. Also, in fear of incoming meteors that may eventually hit the Earth, I’d like our President to put funding in NASA. It is so underfunded right now that you’ll likely throw a rock further up into the air than a rocket can reach. Not only does it advance technology, an event similar to the moon landing would bring the nation together. There is also the chance for aliens, but let’s explore that another time.

For his daughters, I would simply say, keep your hopes up. At times, no matter how great it can be, living with your father as president can be a pain. They should treasure every moment they have with him, not because of the fear of possible death, but because as more and more events begin happening, they’ll have less and less chance to have time with him. They should hold on to this blessing and this curse, as their father will be doing his best to help the country.

Unknown said...

“A leader should carry his people through the good and bad. At the same time, the people must carry their leader. Only then can anything be done.”

Alright, first off, I really didn’t need the parentheses because I made that up myself. Secondly, I just thought that it was funny that this question would come up after I was asked that earlier, in different words, by my uncle. He was analyzing my behavior and stuff at the time, no worries. However, in all seriousness, that’s what I believe. While it is important for a leader to bring his/her people up from the slums, it is even more important for the people to bring their leader the support he/she needs.

Now should I meet Obama and have a little one-on-one, man-to-girl time, I would first congratulate the guy for winning the presidency despite being the underdog at the beginning. It is definitely a great feat to have accomplished. Now for the advice… I know this is going to sound weird, but I would most likely tell him that it isn’t just him. He needs to remember that, while he is President and he has some responsibility to take on, he can’t do anything alone. It’s like how John F. Kennedy said it to us, “And so, my fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country.” I advise him to make the people of this nation remember that it isn’t just him who needs to do something in order to save us from our problems, but everyone as well. I’d advise him to lead, to take control regardless of all the enemies, friends, whiners out there. If he can make this nation work hard again for its prosperity, then he will have done what needs to be done. Our society no longer has the traits that made it up at the time of its birth. We no longer work hard or expect nothing in return for doing something. We are the entitlement generation. I don’t like that label and I don’t think it fits some of the people I know at all. If Obama can do something about it, I advise him to do so because this country cannot solely depend on distant politicians for everything. Above all, I have one last advice: never lose sight of what is most important to you and your people.

As for my future, I have nothing really to ask him. Things come and go in life, and there are plenty of obstacles along the way, but I’m sure I can handle it. However, I would like to ask him to be careful. I think that my future will always be bright as long as there are opportunities for me, and I know that he wants the best for everyone so I don’t want him to have to leave early if you know what I mean. That’s the only thing I ask for in terms of my future. He’s important for the good of everyone’s future. I want him to be careful.

His daughters? Hm… As the daughters of the new President, and being young as they are, I can only say that they will have to deal with a lot of stuff that they shouldn’t have to deal with. I advise them to be careful because they are precious to the President and I wouldn’t want him to be distraught over a ransom for his daughters while on the job. Another piece of advice is to continue being who they are and having fun with it. With the large amount of people who want to be their friends now with the motive of meeting their parents, it becomes hard to see who is real and who isn’t. If they continue shaping themselves into people they would like to become, I’m sure that they find people who truly care and love them for who they are. I also advise them not to let all the fame gets to their head either. They are both lovely little girls, it would be horrible to lose respectable adults of the future generation just because they were extremely famous for a few years and ended up making some bad decisions.

To end this blog, I have only one more thing to say…
DANNY P!!!! YOUR BLOG WAS WAY AWESOME!!! I love the way you wrote it as if it were a script and it was hilarious how you took care of the doors and the wall panels. Haha, that really made my day! I loved the advice you gave Obama too. It was serious at the beginning and you ended it with a light note. It was wonderful. And I agree. He should stay away from video games! They’re good the way they are.

Tarah T said...

After eight years of laughing hysterically at the many stupid things George Bush has said and done, it is apparent that Obama has some pretty big shoes to fill. NOT. I am completely overly excited to have this amazing man be our president. Not only did America restore a little faith in me by electing our first black president, but I am actually confident that he will be able to deliver most of the things he has promised America. I can feel the uniting power he possesses, and that’s something our country needs very badly right now. Also, Obama is a superb speaker, so finally, I won’t have to cringe at every word (or made up word) that I hear come out of my president’s mouth on the television or radio. I won’t be so turned off or focused on finding a fake word that I’ll actually be able to listen to the message. This is a welcome relief.

So if I were to get together with the man himself, I would first of all be honored to meet such an amazing figure in our history. I probably would tell him not to feel too much pressure because there is no way he could screw up as bad as the one before him. He already has beaten him by a long shot, and he has only been president for a day. I would tell him to do what he feels is best in his gut. He hasn’t been so extensively corrupt by government and politics due to his minimal amount of experience, but that could lead to some wonderful, pure changes in our country that we so desperately need. I would ask him to make sure that our homeland is secure and that we bring home our troops as soon and orderly as possible. I would advise him to take care of the many issues we are facing today such as the economy, job losses, education issues, and homelessness to the best of his ability. As others have said, we need to secure our own oxygen mask before assisting others. I would tell him to not worry about what people might say about him and to just get the job done. In the end, that is what every president wants to be remembered for. Even the solutions that don’t satisfy America at first can later become what they praise him for accomplishing.

For me personally, I would have to ask Obama to make sure that there is economic stability in the near future. I know this is not entirely up to him, but since the economy is based on the people and how they distribute their money, I feel that he can have some persuasive power over their decisions. I trust that he will use his influential techniques for good and not evil, so I hope that things can turn around in the future. I am going to be getting a job and becoming a grown up, so the fewer there are out there, the less likely it will be that I will land one and keep it. This is very nerve racking. No one likes to worry about money, so that’s the main issue I have that I would like solved that impacts me directly.

As for Obama and Michelle’s two cute daughters, I would hope that they stay as adorable and innocent as they are going into the white house. I would tell them to live it up in there and have as much fun as possible. I would hope that they understand the magnitude of importance their father has on the country and world and to respect him and their mother for that. They are both really amazing people, and these two girls will be along for the ride. I would thank them for letting us have their father for a couple years, and I would tell them that it would all be worth it. There will no doubt be times when they will miss him because he is away doing presidential things, but in the end they will be able to say something that only and exclusive number of people can say: “I lived in the white house.” But these two girls—and only these two girls— will also be able to say, “My dad was the first black president.” I would tell them to take advantage of every moment.

Vikkie said...

Janiruuu- Whenever I am about to write a blog, I usually look to your blog for inspiration. I love everything that you said and my favorite part was when you said " I don’t hate him, nor do I lick his shoes." Oh how droll darlinggg <33 haha vocab study sessionsss!

Anonymous said...

To Hil

Haha yeah Mr. Sera definitely altered my view of the government, but I like my opinion more now than I did before, so maybe I actually did learn something in his class.... lol i kid. Anyway, your blog had some really good points like this,

" As for advice, I would say to be a hard ass. If you have an idea of bettering the country, go for it. Don't depend on the deep-rooted bureaucrats who only care about their paychecks and bettering the people with large pocketbooks. "

I couldn't agree more,a president needs to make decisions that are best for the country as a whole not just their fellow politicians. The magnitude of the presidents decisions are on a grand scale, so their intentions must be purely for the people, not just one person.

Tarah T said...

“Not only will you be in the entire countrys’ view a lot of the time, you have to live with the secret service at your side 24/7 (everyone saw My Date With The President’s Daughter, right? Haha).”
Saraaa,
I love that movie!! So good.. I've watched it like ten times.. and counting. :]

“I know that Oprah helped you a great deal in your election, but enough is enough. You have to become the president now, and break away from the lime light. You want to be more of JFK and less of a Clinton. It is extremely important to me that you get away from all the media attention you’ve been grabbing, especially with your children.”
Lindsss,
I love how you did your blog. This part is something that I feel strongly about too, but I don’t know how likely it is that the first black president/first president with good speaking skills in 8 years will not be in the spotlight and media. For the sake of his kids, I really hope they leave that aspect about his life alone. After some time, it might die down if he continues to do well and advance our country, but there will always be someone wanting to know more about his lifestyle and what not. I hope the two girls can handle that. Heck, I hope he can handle that. It will probably be a rough ride. Not everyone in America is ready for such a change.

Tamari_R said...

Wow, pretty easy blog. Although I was dissapointed/angry when Obama won the elections, I have resolved to giving him a chance after seeing him around regular people and also falling under his spell. I still wish McCain had won, but Obama portrays a good kind-hearted, altruistic image, which I've come to admire. I don't have it figured out yet: It's like I'm having this internal fight with myself of whether I should like him or not. One part of me is still aloof towards him and doesn't want to give him a chance, and this part of me tries to push around and bully the other part of me which smiles when I see him smile his great smile and speak of hope. So my blog will be a little scattered on my opinions and thoughts on Obama.
What could I, young and doubtul, possibly say to the man who managed to play the crowd and win over so many people's hearts? I'm sure even if I had "face-time" with him, I'd be
speechless; and not because he is the "messiah" that people make him out to be.
I'm sure my words would mean nothing to him. I'd probably manage to blurt out a congratulations, and ask him to listen to the people, and try to provide a little bit of help for everyone. I'd advise him to stay the same chill guy that he
seems, and not change everything around because he's already in and doesn't have to worry about winning over the crowd anymore. If I were given the option, however, I wouldn't have any "face-time" with him in the first
place...
In terms for the future, i'd ask him to PLEASE be really cautious about the
foreign policy, and not change things around too much. I hate to sound selfish when America is also in time of need of attention, and I hate to
bring Georgia into everything, but I'm really worried about what will happen
to my small dimunitive country if he decides to alter a few things. I'd ask
him not to abandon Georgia, and not to develop trust in georgia's neighboring Goliath
country.
As for his two daughters, I'd advise them the same things many others have
already mentioned: not to let this presidential thing get to their pretty little heads.(although i'm sure it's inevitable). I heard Michelle Obama say one time that their daughters were still gonna have to do chores
around the white house. I hope she didn't mean the WHOLE house.
I guess I'll put off the internal disagreements I have about him for now, try some obama hotsauce(According to radiostation NPR,it's great),and actually wait to see what happens until I develop my opinion of him.

Tamari_R said...

Toni M:

"Johnny Rockets gave out 10% off Chili coupons because supposedly Obama LOVES chili.. Go figure ( Is that even true?! I have yet to look this up). "

I don't know it it's true, but I know that it's CRAZY, and unnecessary...I think alot of people are overreacting: They bring obama's name into everything for their own profit. I guess if I wanted to make money, I'd think of a random thing, put Obama's name or picture on it, and it would sell.

Caitlin M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Caitlin M said...

Obama. With great power comes great responsibility. You have a mountain of issues facing you. The presidency will consume you, mind, body, and spirit. Ever notice that presidents, who enter the White House with a full head of hair, leave gray and balding. It’s not the four or eight years that have passed, which age the president. It’s the stress. Holding the fate of a nation at your fingertips, is heavy burden; but I urge you not to get sucked in. Don’t lose touch with the American the people. They elected you because they believe you heard, understood, and want to help them. When I head off to college in 2010, with thousands of other college students, I want to be assured I won’t be too deep in debt by graduation. I’d be unfortunately ironic if I went bankrupt before I earned my first paycheck. This country needs a president who’s in touch with the people, and who won’t ignore pressing issues. You should propose more legislation for financial aid and offer incentives to college students. I’d love to graduate college with job offers or with an economy that needs workers. I’m a marketing/business hopeful. I want to be editor-in-chief of a major magazine. I encourage you to pursue your economic plan. It’s success will determine major factors of my post collegiate life. Like graduating with significant or little to no debt, or the difference between my first apartment and moving back home with my parents.
To Sasha and Maliya. No one is perfect. Your father has just embarked on one of the greatest journey in history, not to mention his life! To be successful and serve the American people properly, sacrifices must be made. Between a Middle East crisis and a family dinner, the crisis will prevail. Be patient. Your father will be busy, But it’s for the good of many. He’ll be protecting and promoting basic liberties. So girls, in other countries, your age can be allowed to read, write, hold jobs, and enjoy other freedoms you hold dearly. Your father isn’t the only one with great power. Standing before you is the opportunity of a lifetime. I urge you to develop a platform. You have a podium to which you can promote any cause close to your heart. I’ve heard there is a new puppy coming to the White House. Here is an opportunity to promote stray adoptions, encourage volunteering, and stop animal abuse. These next four years will be a defining period in your life. How you handle what’s thrown your way will speak loudly about your character. You can either sit back and let time pass or you can get out there and use the gifts, which others would do anything for, to accomplish some good in the world. Would you rather people say, “there goes the presidents daughter’s” or “ there go Sasha and Malaya, champion of ____ rights and promoters of ___”(insert desired causes).




Devon- i loved your blog!! your right, obama seems like such a great guy. I'm impressed by how humble and respectful he has been during the president-elect process.

"Obama is already an outstanding leader, now I just hope that he remembers his outstanding constituents."
I agree. One of my fears is that Obama will get sucked into the presidental bubble That he'll be cut off from the citizens and have to rely on bias information from those around him.

Stumpy LC said...

I write this blog smelling of cat shit since I have just finished
cleaning out my cat's beloved cat box (damn that stinking fur ball and
his need to carry out normal bodily functions!) So, needless to say, I
do not find myself to take the notion of giving Obama serious advice at
the moment.

If I could give him some kind of advice, it would be somewhere along
the lines of 1) don't screw up the country 2) don't fool around with
the country 3) don't fuck up the country 4) don't cheat on your wife
with the ugly ass secretary and 5) find out how Sean Connery has
managed to age in that sexy fashion of his so that he looks more like
some hot silver wolf than an old man.

I honestly have nothing more to say because it is pretty much
guaranteed that he can't mess us up any worse than Bush did.

For his daughter... look, I've never been the daughter of anyone really
special in the public eye (all our neighbors hate us so I don't think I
have any room to talk as for as advice goes.) All I can say is that
they should 1)do well in school 2) don't become bothers to their father
3) respect his authority 4) give him love and support because he'll
need it and 5) never hate him.

Yeah, I know that this is a short blog, but I reek of cat crap and I
need to get this thing done. And yeah, I know that I most likely
spelled Connery wrong so just shut up about that! I know for a fact
that I can't spell for beans and I don't need people mentioning that I
misspelled something.

Damn... I need a shower...

Anonymous said...

Hmm....well if I had some face time with Mr. Obama my first piece of advice would probably be to look at the camera and say "Cheese." Whether I wanted him to win or not, the man is the president. This is not an oppurtunity to take lightly. This would be the one photo that I would brag about if he does a good job, or one that I go bury somewhere if he does not. But seriously, for this blog, Im just going to accept that Obama IS the president. All my hopes and kudos go to him from now on cause he is the last hope for this country, unless it can really hold out long enough for another election. But seriously, my first piece of advice for him would probably be to keep the country safe from possible terrorist attacks. The point of it is that Bush did manage to keep America from experiencing another attack. Though his methods were.....questionable, they worked. As much as the economy and the war and the education are taking a toll on the country, nothing says "we are fucked" like a suicidal pilot crashing through your living room window. Hell, forget the pilot, why not just drop a whole freaking bomb. But, none the less, right now US has to focus on retaining peace with other nations. I know Im asking for a miracle here (God!!! How does this country keep pissing people off?) but that is or should be Obama's first move. Seclude the country from the rest of the world, for just a bit. Let them deal with their problems while we deal with ours (and boy do we need to get started on that).

Once he finishes with that, I would probably start asking him for educational benefits. I might not have free or reduced lunch, but I do not have the money to pay for college. Maybe lowering prices for college, or at least make scholarships/ grants more available. At the very least bring back that STARS program or w/e that Oakcrest has. That at least would give me some hope. Next, I would agree with Meg Song here and say, SAT'S MUST BE ABOLISHED. Oh, sweet monkey Christ....I just can't pass this test to save my life...and its pissing me off. I remember going into work books for this dumbass test and still failing to improve. Math I seem to be ok, but in English I feel that I keep falling for the exact same tricks and traps. Its frustrating to even consider picking up this book and studying my ass off just to barely pass or worse, FAIL. My personal bit of advice for Obama would be to creat a new goal for scientists or pharmaseutical techs to develop new or increase the supply off medication. Since that is the field I am headed into, it would help me if there were more jobs availabe as it would hopefully become less competitive then a lot of these jobs are now.

Finally, I don't really have advice for his two daughters. If I could say anything to them, it would probably be "sorry" or "sucks to be you." Yeah, they can hang around that glorious little White House of theirs, but those Blank walls are about all that they are going to see. From my point of view, these girls are not going to get out much, and you AP girls can disagree on this if you want, but girls like to get a lot. Home SUCKS!!! Its just that for them it will suck even more. Obama is going to keep them under a very short leash, if he is a good father or at least someone who wants a good rep from all the parents. If he does let them out, I don't think that the secret service have a high school diploma in partying their asses off. Pretty much they are going to be bigger buzzkills then Buzz Killington *haha, family guy rules* These girls are not going to have fun unless they join us and allow video games to warp their minds...JOIN US...JOIN US. Of course, this might not be a problem if their dad only makes it for 4 years, they will still get to enjoy their teen years, but 8 years in office, and they can kiss social life goodbye.

Overall, Obama has a lot to think about here. Ill agree with Leonor and say that there is no way he can fix everything, unless he is the Messiah or something. As long as he isnt the 3rd Anti-Christ or something (an Armaggedon theory I've heard off)it should work out fine. He doesn't have my full support, but right now he's all I got that can improve this nation as my future keeps unfolding.

Anonymous said...

It’s an ugly position to be in right now as president. Having a war, economic meltdown, and tons of environmental issues to overcome, I’m sure the words I would have to say to Obama are something that he already knows. Politically, we’re not sure exactly what Obama’s plan is, but faithfully many people are hoping it’s something great. Despite all of these problems Barrack must overcome, I’d have to say if I could actually sit down and talk to him, one of the main things I would talk about is money. Not necessarily money to the companies, government funds, or even myself; but rather towards the little guys. Besides the fact that millions including myself in a few years will be throwing thousands of dollars at college fees, there are the issues of healthcare, the disabled, and especially the people in our own country who have almost nothing. What we need is money, and now is the worst time to be asking for it. The second thing I would bring up with Barrack is the rumors of infanticide since I believe it’s completely immoral to let a helpless baby die. Beyond these personal issues I would inevitably bring up to him, I realize that there’s not much advice politically I could give to him, but if I were to guide him in one way, it would be in his mindset.

Last night as I was watching the two most powerful people in the world, not Beyonce and Jay-Z as hilarious Ray Romano put it, but the actual two most powerful people: Barrack and Michelle Obama, dancing to one of the most influential African American artist, Beyonce, I couldn’t help but think they must feel like they’re on top of the world. No other person will ever get to experience what they have experienced in the past couple days as millions watched. How does it feel to be married to the most powerful man in our country, and above that be able to persuade him to do something simply because he’s your husband? And how awesome is it that your dad runs the country?

These ideas that popped into all of our heads yesterday as we watched all day long, are the exact thoughts that I would warn Obama to stay clear of. Knowing how much power and persuasion he has over our country, I would definitely tell him to always go with his heart on matters. From this point on he will have people criticizing him from left to right, but since when do people know what’s good for them anyways? I would tell him not to get caught up in the dark side of politics, and to always do what’s best for his family as if he was making decisions based solely on their future.

As for his two daughters, they should know that they have room to make mistake and by no means need to be perfect. Don’t stay within the bubble media will make you out to be, and get on your dads nerves along with his whole staff. Conforming yourself to every arbitrary want of the public, will have you either 1. Going crazy, or 2. Turning into a rebel, so I would definitely have to say be yourselves. Of course when the media is condemning you of not being perfect, know that your dad is running a country full of people who obviously make mistakes every day. Besides that stay humble, soak up all your experiences, and respect your parents.

I know the first African-American has just been inaugurated into the white house, but to vote for/ against him because of his background is ridiculous. He is an extremely intelligent man, and it shouldn’t matter what race or sex someone is where politics is concerned.
Hayley
-Several times in the election there would be polls where an anchor would go to someone in the streets and ask them what their main issue was in the election and why they would elect either John McCain or Barrack Obama. Sadly, many people couldn’t even answer this question and would have the typical response of McCain b/c…. or Obama b/c…. I believe both Obama and McCain are both qualified to run the country regardless of whose actually president, I just wish that more people out of their own ethics would look into the people that will be running our country for our next 4 years!

Not only will you be in the entire countrys’ view a lot of the time, you have to live with the secret service at your side 24/7 (everyone saw My Date With The President’s Daughter, right? Haha).
Sara VP
-HAHA this was so funny, I remember Dunkin and his long hippie hair. And yes, I completely agree with the approach these girls are going to have to take when getting under the pressure of both the media and their dad.

Don’t become another Washington fat cat.
Jani
- Yup. Just like Mr. Sera taught us. Its actually very reassuring to know that Obama’s somewhat new to the office, he’s not tainted by all the dirty business yet!

Molly G said...

“Even though our country is in a terrible condition, there is peaceful aura about President Obama that makes me feel secure and safe. I don’t know if it’s his charismatic personality or that darn smile of his, but I trust this man.”
Kelly! First of all, I loved your occasional paper today. And it is true, one can’t help but enjoy listening to Obama. His personality draws people in, it seems like he everyone’s neighbor, willing to help out anyone in need. And it is true, his smile is adorable!!

Sarah C said...

Danny what a genius blog. Jealousy over your hilarity is eating my toes like a little swarm of pirhanas.

Sorry. The cold makes me write weird similes, too.

Anyway, your little script? Yeah, I'm going to steal it and sell it to SNL in order to supplement my college fund. You don't mind, do you? If you do mind, then come in to school tomarrow dressed in a toga and I'll know. If no toga, hello SNL and moderately priced institution of higher learning.

Brittany G. said...

So, it was once again the time for the old leader of our country to step down, and for a new one to take over, for the 44th time………but this time, it is different. Many people would think that what I am going to follow this is that Barack Obama is an African American, but no. This time the new commander that is taking the reigns of America is going to have one of the most difficult tasks yet, and that is digging America out of the hole that it has dug itself over the past 20 years. Not only is Barack Obama expected to succeed this dangerous feat, but he must do it fast enough for the people not to lose hope and pride in the president’s motives. From what I hear on T.V. Obama has been hustling since the moment that he has opened the door of the White House. Well, he’s off to a good start.

One thing that bothers me about Obama is his mesmorizing way with words. He has a way of grabbing the attention of the Average Joe, and making him feel like he is having a one on one conversation with them. I believe that this is one of the most dangerous qualities that a person can have. Well, especially from what I have heard from Mr. Sera, that they are all pathological liers, looking out only for themselves in the end. This quality reminds me of someone whose name rhymes with Smadolf Smitler. This man was also enchanting, and took control of his country at its toughest point, and did some very good things with his country, but with these good things came the horribly horrid things too. I would tell Obama to not bank on his amazing way with words, and I hope that he is as pure as he seems to be, because he has a wonderful family, and to not just put up a happy ‘everything is okay’ façade and try to hide things from the public. That is what got us into this mess, pretending that nothing is wrong and waking up one day filled up with bills to our necks.


As for what I would ask the president, I’d probably say ‘So, you’ll hook me up with a sick government job…RIGHT??’ Haha. No, just kidding, I’d say ‘Congratulations on what you have accomplished, even before starting your job as president, and I’d ask him no matter what happens, make sure that everything will be okay for America after you leave office, because you never know what kind of self centered jerk could be coming next.

To the little girls, I say don’t grow up too fast, and cherish every moment that you have in the White House, and with your family. These next few years are going to be the hardest, best, fun, and scary years of your life. Don’t let your fathers presidency shape who you are going to be in the future.

Brittany G. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brittany G. said...

"Politically, we’re not sure exactly what Obama’s plan is, but faithfully many people are hoping it’s something great."

Abby--True, I really have no clue what Obama is planning to do to get this country our of the trouble
that it is in.

Sara--I watch my date every time that it is on disney channel!! Her pink dress reminds me of one that my barbie used to have.=)

Molly G said...

“Don’t let your father’s presidency shape who you are going to be in the future.”
Brittany. That sentence was amazing. Because it is so true that the fact that their father’s role in the government could shape them for the worse. They need to be able to stay true to who they really are. They can’t let the fame and fortune get to them.

Carly C said...

Kelly:
"Today, Mr. Martino said, “You’d be crazy to want to be President right now.” I couldn’t agree more. And seeing Obama step up to plate makes me believe that he is truly here to help our country prosper. I’m certain he already has great head on his shoulder and will do our country much needed good."

->This is a very valid point. Many people have said that whoever is elected as president will face some of the biggest hardships within our country, and often displease the public's opinion of them. Still, the fact that Obama is willing to step up in at this time and take control shows the world that he is truely here to make our country prosper.

BrendanA said...

Well I'll do a comment on Dan's as usual, though this is for most everyone.

Everyone seems to say the same sorts of thing to the president's daughters most likely due to Bush's child problems. Poor kids, pushed into the limelight.

And as for meg song's SAT Illegality...

I like the SAT. I'm good at standardized testing. It makes me feel better than everyone else. No criminalizing it.

Anonymous said...

Barack Obama has to be the cleverest man alive. He knew exactly what issues to focus on, what heartstrings to pull, and how to play on people's need to believe. His campaign was flawless, and he won with ease. Now, it's time to prove himself, and I'm not really sure that the American people are going to get exactly what they bargained for.

That's not to say that President Obama isn't going to do a good job, or that he was qualified for the presidency. All I'm pointing out is that I feel as if there's this illusion surrounding him, a standard that he has unwillingly set for himself that may be impossible to reach. I hope that he will be able to achieve these goals he's promised and enforce those effective policies he's created. However, I feel as if this won't be the case.

So, my advice to you, President Obama, is to perservere. People have such high hopes for you, so much faith! For wrangling the ever-changing and shallow masses, you have almost undaunted power. However, remember that America has a very short attention span, and it won't wait very long for reward. So, when things don't work out exactly as you've planned, or when policies take longer to enact than you expected, and it seems that everyone has turned against you- other countries, the media, even your faithful supporters- keep trying. Never give up, never stop working for the betterment of the country, and never lose sight of the bigger picture. The choices you make today will effect us tommorow,and they will effect not just America, but the entire world. Never back down, and fight tirelessly for what you think is right. Even if you stand alone, you still stand for something, and, chances are, that something is what you feel is best for this country and her people. Don't be discouraged by critics, and never lose faith in yourself even if it seems that everyone else has. Perservere through it all, regardless of your popularity, and you'll do what the American people know that you can- whether they realize it or not.

As for my future, I want stability. I want to live knowing that I will be able to support myself and whatever family I have left. I want to live without fear of nuclear war or the ending of the world. I want to return to the morals and values that were so prevalent in our past but are diminishing steadily as we approach the future. Finally, I want to raise a generation full of open-minded, well informed citizens. Now, I know that all of this won't happen in the span of four years. It probably won't happen in 10 year, or 20. To be perfectly honest, it probably won't even happen during the course of my lifetime, and I don't pretend that this is an easy task. We, as a country, know our destination. Now we just need to go about finding the means to reach it. The first step in this positive direction will probably be the hardest, but once we get the ball rolling, everything will fall into place. Hopefully, President Obama, you'll be able to trigger this chain of events with some innovative policies that will help jump start our transformation.

Finally, to the two Obama children, I hope that you remember to have a childhood. As the daughters of the President, many things will be taken from you. You will have less privacy, less friends, less free time, and less independence. It will be frustrating, no doubt, although whether or not you will grasp the full meaning of the situation is debatable. However, all I can say to you is to never give away your innocence; your youth. Even if they take everything else from you, keep that. Enjoy your childhood while you still have the chance.

Devon-
I never really thought about how I felt about the first daughters, but I think you summed it up beautifully. I am, in fact, sad for these two little girls, and, although I loathe children, I'd rather see them live out what is undoubtedly the best time of their life as normal children rather than in the spotlight.

Kudos.

Oh, btw, when I read the part about Obama in the grocery store, I lol'd because I was in Acme once and I saw this guy that looked like John McCain. I waved at him, and he gave me a dirty look.


Jerk.

Erik N said...

The next four years (or eight) may quite possibly be the most vital times in the United States in the last seventy five years. President Barack Obama's task is a monumental one, in ways that we can hardly imagine. He has the potential to go down in history as one of our greatest leaders of all time, or he could be remembered for his failure in returning America to its former place of international prominence. Obama promises change, and the hope of the citizens of this country is that he can follow through on his promises to mend the capsizing vessel that is our economy, as well as to bring an end to the war in Iraq. These two major predicaments, along with a myriad of others, leaves Obama facing a number of obstacles not seen by an incoming President since Franklin Delano Roosevelt in the 1930's. The choices he makes in the very near future could well determine how the remainder of his time in office plays, and how he is remembered in the annals of history.

To be in a position of such strength, of such power and influence, is to have every decision, no matter how consequential or how insignificant, scrutinized under the microscope of the media and the world. My advice to President Obama would be simple to communicate, but difficult to carry out; remain true to yourself. Trust your instincts. Know who you can count on, and listen to their advice. These seemingly simple and natural mindsets can become a lot more strenuous to uphold with the bright lights of fame and prominence spotlighting your every move. Obama has to believe in himself, regardless of how greatly others may disagree with his political opinions. Most likely, things will get worse for our country before they get better. When this happens, Obama's judgment and character will be questioned. There will be doubts of whether or not he was prepared for this job. This time will be crucial for his presidency.If he dictates his choices based on the feelings of television anchors and journalists, he will have lost the confidence and assuredness that got him elected to the position he now holds. And for his daughters, I would tell them to enjoy the opportunity. At times they will be held back from participating in normal events that other young people get to experience, and they will struggle with having to be so confined. But the knowledge they will gain and the people they will meet and the opportunities they will have because of their father's position will greatly help them in their future. So live it up while you can, because there are many young girls who would do anything to be in their situation.

As for my future, I can only hope that the President's long-term economic strategy helps to bring back jobs and reverse the country's debt. For my parents, paying for college for six kids is insane right now. I honestly have no idea how they will do it. I know that i will have to pay some of my way through college, but I just hope that once it's over I won't be paying off my debts for years. And unless the job market is brought back to life, I had better get really good at something or else I'll be stuck behind a counter at McDonald's handing three-hundred pound men the six Big Macs they ordered.

Meg Song - Hahaha I don't think you're kidding about how you would greet Obama. And regardless of whether or not he somehow abolishes SATs, your parents might still make you take them anyway. Oh yeah, great song choice by the way.

Vikkie said...

I feel extremely deprived. I, unlike many of you, did not follow the accelerated English/History track because of my pure trepidation of US Gov. I missed out on Costal and Sera and all the wonderful lectures, homework assignments, and test corrections that came with the package. I disliked civics in 8th grade and I knew I never wanted to touch any sort of government class even if using a ten foot pole from the top of the statue of liberty while wearing stilts, for the rest of my life. (lol @ me trying to be funny) I missed out on hating government in the classroom last year, but you’d be damned if you think I haven’t gotten enough of it at home. Every morning on the car ride to my bus stop, my darling father likes to have POTUS on the XM radio. POTUS- People of the United States, Presidents of the United States, and Politics of the United States, kills me every morning after having to hear Morning Joe or Bloomberg as I eat my breakfast. And before good Ol’ Joe there was Don Imus! I actually kind of liked him though, not actually LOOKING at him, but hearing his voice. Ewww wrinkles! ANYWAY, my dad watches these shows, listens to these radio programs, and feels the need to discuss with me. And when NOBAMA became the focal point of all shows, it was all he could speak of. But the constant talk of our new president is not why I dislike him. My father likes him for the RIGHT reasons. I dislike Obama because of all the ignorant assholes who have no idea what is going on but saw a black face and gave it their vote.

I was perusing through some videos on Youtube when I found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1nzEFMjkI4 (fast forward to 3:05) oh wait… that’s not it…

Here we go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyvqhdllXgU

This is a clip of interviewers walking around Harlem asking Obama supporters why the like Obama, but there’s a catch! The interviewers used McCain’s views with Obama’s name and I’m pretty sure you wont be surprised to hear what these imbeciles agreed to. For those of you who don’t want to watch, this is the only quote you’ll need to know how the entirety of this video went. “Oh yeah I'd love Sarah Palin to be the vice president!”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8v0yjqUsqg

This man has a reply to the video that you may appreciate as well. He even makes the point to possibly petition that there should be a test one must pass to be given the opportunity to vote. How many people would actually pass that? I mean, I would want those people to help guide our country, not these racial zealots who only want a person in the oval office so they can “finally feel proud of their race”. Puh-leasse.

Also, my favorite and possibly most publicized video of them all, I give you, Ms. Peggy Joseph.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI

“I don’t have to worry about putting gas in my car or paying my mortgage. If I help him, he’ll help me.”

All I have to say is… Bitch! Who the hell is your president?!!? Now, excuse me for being pessimistic, but I am just not gung-ho for voting under false pretenses. This could mean one of two things. Obviously the first one, this woman is an idiot or maybe misinterpreted what Obama had said. Possibly even we took what she said out of context or only heard a portion of this comment. That’s just me being nice and giving her the benefit of the doubt. The other possibility is that Barack just isn’t clear enough with what he is portraying to his followers. All this hype for ‘change’ and ‘hope’ could be contorted into something it is not and never will be. And now to the actual blog!

If I could actually speak to Obama, I would tell him that he can have all his fancy speeches and whatnot but he really needs to reiterate his points, promises, and plans slowly and clearly, because some people see the ideal of who they want and just assume or selectively hear the things he says. Be clear for those who don’t necessarily understand or indulge in politics so people can actually have a say and formulate their own ideas of what is going on in the world. As for my future, just keep the peace. Appease everyone within the bounds of your jurisdiction and prove me wrong. Show me that government and presidency isn’t a big shit hole that I cant bear to smell. Show me that the president is not a joke or a fail. And for the girls, take pride in your father. Have fun but don’t be rebels. Don’t let your father down in the ways that I have let my parents down because it will be ten times worse in the spotlight of the world. Being decried by millions of people that you don’t know will be the worst feeling in your life.

MattyC said...

Even though the inauguration has just recently occurred I already feel bogged down by overwhelming amount of blessings and good luck that has been wished upon the next four years. It’s sickening. I can’t stand to see all these people come together over someone when these same people didn’t give a damn about the country a year ago. So as to all the good tidings that have been given to Obama, the advice and best wishes, I don’t want to repeat any of that in my blog.

The advising I do want to give to Obama is far more important than the trivial matters displayed by the mass media. It’s about something that matters, a way to stay connected to his roots, a connection to the little people. If it isn’t obvious enough there is only one issue the general public is interested in. Aliens. Extraterrestrial life, invaders from mars, moon men, it doesn’t matter. The public demands answers! The only way for Obama to appease the masses would be to infiltrate on a super S-Rank mission to discover the truth about alien beings. While it is obvious the government does have contact with and withhold aliens the government still needs to openly declare this to the public. Obama by doing so would be gaining the public trust and their good will. He would also be following in the footsteps of the king of all presidents, Bill Clinton.

Now that the demands of the public have been met it’s time for the Obaminator to provide me with some assurance that his policies will positively affect the college. The biggest thing I am worried about as an upcoming senior and soon to be college student is what the employments rates will be when I graduate. While I will always have a home working at the beach I somehow doubt a 4 month job will cover my expenses for the rest of the year. So it may be a good idea to have another job lined up to cover the budget. That is what I would ask Obama for, to make sure he keeps the economy up and running so I don’t have to worry about spending 12 years in medical school only to become unemployed. I can’t stand the idea of putting up with all this BS for the past 16 years only to have it amount to nothing when the economy collapses, or aliens blow up everything. I need Obama to give me the gift of assurance that all the work we do now will pay off in the future.

As funny as it may be I wasn’t aware until recently that Obama had two young daughters going to live in the white house. This election was far different from the past two in 04 and 2000 in which both candidates portrayed themselves as family men with their families constantly covered by the media. This time around there wasn’t as much family coverage as people have more to worry about than whether or not our president’s family could be on 7th heaven. It has got to be a traumatizing experience for a young girl to move to a new home in a new state in a new school with new friends. They will undoubtedly be distanced from normal adolescent activities because of the secret service and what not. But they will also receive many privileges that the average kid does not receive. You know, riding in a presidential jet, having personal, chefs, a slip and slide in the white house lawn. Good stuff. The only pressing issue that I would worry about for the daughters is that they would grow up disconnected from other citizens. They will probably never know what it’s like to weed their own lawn or do chores. They are at a young age in which they will be lolled into the lazy life of a rich kid. Laziness and a selfish personality would be two easily acquired traits from living in the position they are in. I would just like to tell them to remember who they are and not let daddy’s status affect that.


In response to Mike N

I feel like the way you view the girl’s upbringing in the Whitehouse leads to a spoiled behavior. Because they constantly have people catering to them I think they will grow up to lack the morals that children usually get from chores and arguments with their parents. Not that they will lack adversity but there is a certain element of independence and hard work that they will lack when they mature. These are skills that can’t be learned, you develop them over time. Otherwise I support your logical and somewhat depressing blog haha. I like the idea of universal healthcare but at the moment it seems to be a highly impractical or quixotic notion that we can’t even hope to backup with the economy in this state.

Ben C said...

President Obama. This time last year I dreamed I would be saying these words some day, and now the time has come. Thankfully America has made the right choice in taking the preparatory steps that will ultimately lead to a better future. Over the past eight years our country has been a joke in the eyes of the world that surrounds us and the time has come for a change in the policies and ideas we have as a nation.

If I were to attain the honor and privilege of having a face to face conversation I would be more than happy. Words cannot explain the level of excitement I would have. If I could give him advice I would first not only tell him but beg him not to be pressured into listening to the bad ideas of most of the shitty politicians around him. People are going to try and push him to a more conservative perspective I don’t want him to be persuaded by their nonsense. The other piece of advice I would give to President Barack Obama would be to obviously that it is absolutely necessary that he do something about the poor state of public education in America, and also to make going to college more affordable so that more Americans can go to the college they want to without having to consider price when they choose which schools to attend. If America as a whole had a higher high school graduation rate, and a higher college graduation rate America would be a greater country than it already is.

The very first question I would ask Obama is one that I have been wondering for a while. While running for office he informed us that anyone who performed a minimum of 100 hours of community service would receive $4,000 dollars credit that could be used to pay for tuition at any college or university. What I would like to know is when can I start. As of right now the biggest factor affecting the college/university I attend is the price. While this may not be fair it’s the way things go. Another, less self-centered question would be now that he is elected, what exactly are his plans for the failure known as “Operation Iraqi Freedom”? Too many Americans have lost their lives due to ignorance and stupidity of the previous administration. The other reason why I ask this question is because if all my other options fall through and I can’t afford to go to college I am seriously considering joining the military as a last resort so the United States Government can pay for my tuition.

To his daughters I would simply want to remind that they are in fact still normal kids and should grow up and be treated as such.

Ben C said...

Brendan-You never cease to amaze me, week after week your blogs leave me laughing hysterically. And i absolutely agree, i think the Obama family should in fact play Rock Band.

Billy Cheaty said...

Barrack Obama is finally president. I sort of hate to admit it, but I wanted Barrack to win. It was just probably his ideas on unions and military, probably because my dad and family is involved in both. Whether this is the real reason or not, I'm glad to see he's president. I couldn't really say this before, because my hard-core republican mom would have banned me from the house, but I'm not going to get into all that. :p
What would I say to Obama if I got the chance to meet him? Well, it would probably be a view things. For one, I would tell him to not be a super liberal. It's not that liberals aren't cool or anything, but I don't want a one way president. Why not someone who is going to be cool with both sides of the issues. If he were a super biased idiot like some of the presidents and a hard-headed guy who wasn't excepting, I would definitely hate him. All I want from him is to be fair to both sides, even if he doesn't necessarily agree with one. However, as far as this issue goes, he's already been pretty good. Many of his political associates and new plans tend to be split between moderate democrat and liberal conservative. Already an Ace-in-the-Pocket.
I would also tell him that he should be ready for some violence. Unfortunately, we live in a society where idiots are free to roam and no one can really stop them, which is one down side to our democracy. In this group of idiots, there are a number of people who really maybe no idea what's going on, what our President stands for, and probably hate him because he's black. Now are these people going to conform even though they lost already and pledge loyalty to their new president? Hell no. So my best idea would be to try and reach out to these people. Why just satisiy his fan base? He should step out above and beyond. He should bring these people to his side; appeal to them in some way. As well as, “Barrack, watch your ass. Someone may try to pop you.” I wouldn't doubt if that happens, so he should be cautious.
To his daughters, I say welcome to the White House, but remember who you are. They can have just as much influence as their daddy can have. Maybe not to adults, but certainly they can set the bar for the children of America. Why should the leadership end with the first lady? The President's children should do all in their power to lead, as they can help America in so many ways they don't even know. They must rmember who they are and understand the kids of America will look up to them.
Other than that, surprisingly, I don't have anything to say to Barrack. I'm just curious to see how his presidency goes. I don't think he will be anything super, but we will remember him as a good predisent.

Billy Cheaty said...

My advice to you would be to keep your head, you’re a hard working U.S Citizen and never forget that is where you came from. '


Linds C hit right wehat I was looking for before on the head. Nice, as your blogs usually are.

Anonymous said...

First of all, allow me to disclaim that, should I ever meet Barack Obama, I will not be giving him any advice. I probably won’t even be able to squeak out more than hi. This is not because I glorify him in any way, just because I don’t talk well with adults. However, if I ever was to meet Obama’s girls, I probably would speak to them. I’m better with children.
Alright, on to the juice; If I could give any advice to Obama, it would probably be a bit of a paradox. Initially, I would tell him simply to not take anyone’s political advice (including mine). We need someone who won’t play by politicians’ rules, so I sure hope he was paying attention during the prelims because he shouldn’t be listening now. He has a plan. While compromise is necessary at some bends, I think he really just needs to push the envelope a little and make it work. Start internally, with the economy and the job and housing crisis. Then move slowly externally, without nosing too far into anyone’s business. Follow through with the simple, easy plan made at the September 2002 Johannesburg Summit, and whip the US into gear. Also, division of labor is your friend. Assigning men you trust to oversee projects means you can arrange the government to multitask. I feel like that’s a large problem in our government. Women, genetically, are trained to multitask, think about several things at once, whereas men, (aka, the leaders of our country) need to focus on one thing at a time to finish it effectively with follow-through. So how do we make up for Mother Nature’s humorous trick on MANkind? Assign many men to each job. One job. Then oversee it all. It’s both less stressful and more efficient.
As for what I’d ask about my future, I would ask him 2 questions. One, when, REALLY, is the economy going to be in my favor again? Two, what states, based on the housing market, will I be able to get a big spacious house for not a ton of money?
Lastly, his daughters. I cannot think of more to say than be careful. I know they won’t be pests or limelight seizers, because their mother seems very on top of that. But they still need to watch out; for people they can’t trust, for being scarred by hate generated when Obama mis-steps, for getting too comfortable in their four year get away and forgetting who they were.

Sarah Crane- I’m not sure what it had to do with the blog, but I really enjoyed your cold posting. It amused me greatly, as did your attempt to trick Dan into wearing a toga. XD

Kelly N said...

Megan- “Okay, so on that note…Mr. Obama. I cooould advise him to get a nose job….or I cooould advise him to buy a naked non-allergenic mole rat….”

hahahaha that made me giggle


Maegan- “Even if you stand alone, you still stand for something, and, chances are, that something is what you feel is best for this country and her people.”

Marvelously written, I agree with you whole-heartedly Maegan. Obama will be faced with many objections and haters, but in the end he’s out there standing for something greater. Greater than any of the things any of these fools would ever do.

Meg Song said...

Jani-
His voice is grand, yet eerily dreamy. He’s very captivating.

This is so very true! I can't help but listen when he talks. Not just listen without comprehending, but actually Listening. He truly is an amazing speaker, and yet at every speech he makes i find myself thinking...i wonder how long he had to practice in front of a mirror for...."

Jordan C. said...

Well well, well, here he is. The Man of the hour. Mr. Obama, you know you have been stirring up quite an uproar in the average life of every U.S. citizen.

This is most likely the first thing that the businessman side of me would blurt out to our new president. Its actually kind of scary to know I would ever talk to the President of the United States like that, but it would be the necessary condescending tone that I'd have to adopt for me to even make it past my nerves and speak to the most prestigious man in the country. Lately though there has been some confusion over why he is so prestigious in the first place. He is not prestigious because he is black and happens to be the president. He is prestigious because he is the first black president. In my eyes, the face that he is black really doesn't matter at all to me. I'm fed up with African Americans screaming "OBAMA" all around the country, when all they know is he is black and now the president. Circumstances like these are why black people get such a bad reputation in the first place. For the past 24 hours I have been asking black individuals who scream "OBAMA" like children with a strange case of tourettes, what three of his policies are. So far no one knows a damn thing. It's rather disgusting. A person would think that by electing the first black president it would be a step in the right direction for African-Americans, when in reality it's creating a larger gap between the intelligent African-American population and the ones that perpetually make decisions that just give in to the racial slurs. That is a blog for another day, so on that note forward march to the question!

After my rather rude greeting with the new president, I would have to expand upon the statement before I offended him and he has me removed from his presence. He has caused everyone alive to be apart of a monumental piece of history. People aren't in the negative type of uproar that causes riots and widespread destruction. The uproar he has incited is more as in the uproar that occurs when something amazing happens and people are in euphoric disarray, just running around like jubilant chickens with their heads cut off. Never before has a country, or even people in general, overcome such a massive racial division. I'm going on a limb because I really don't know, but when was the last Jewish president of Egypt? Or Germany for that matter? I don't think there ever was one. Racial divisions have never been breached as they have now in our country, and it's all thanks to this man's charisma, intelligence, and excellent timing. What isn't monumental about this presidential achievement?

Anyhow, after I explained and he was no longer ready to kick me out, I'd have to start raining my advice down upon his little ears. The most important thing that he can do now is make an address to his fellow African-Americans about their current behavior. In society African-Americans will never ascend above all the racism and oppression until they themselves rise above it. This self-ascension will never take place unless a true African-American figure of power addresses the problem. Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Don King, all these individuals have tried to show the public the light, but they aren't in positions high enough to truly influence the people. The president on the other hand, is the most powerful position he could be in. He must do this in full awareness that he could be turned against by the African-American voters for it to work, considering if he tries to avoid offending anyone it's likely his message will be misconstrued. This is a bit of advice that is sorely suggested, especially since as the first black president with all this gungho African-American enthusiasm he wields the power over them to incite a massive change. The time is ripe for a social change and he is the only man to bring it about.

There are quite a few things I would like to convey to the Obama daughters. It has come to my attention that females are more susceptible to falling prey to the glamorous life of a celebrity's offspring, and these two females have just become the daughters of the biggest celebrity known to the U.S. Look at the girls who bask in the glory of their parents. Paris Hilton; her parents own the Hilton Casino. Miley Cyrus; her dad was the "Achey-Breaky Heart Guy." Think about it though. Do you see any male children famous because of their parents? Will Smith's son isn't a massive movie star or even a celebrity to any extent. Hugh Hefner's son isn't basking in the lime-light. Clearly, I would tell these two quite impressionable young ladies to not become one of these leech celebrities. What they should do is live their lives as if they were normal children of particularly affluent parentage. It's quite obvious that living as a childhood celebrity is not the correct way to go, considering many of them end up either being under constant ridicule for their stupid antics or succumbing to a horrible life of seclusion afterwards. Also I doubt that they realize it, but their father has just received the most stressful job in the entire country at one of the worst possible times. It will soon become apparent to them though, when his presence in their life drops and he becomes rather short with them very quickly, due to the high level of stress this job entails. My second piece of advise would be to try and make his job a tad bit easier and stay out of trouble. Managing an entire nation is much easier when a person doesn't have to worry about their bickering or delinquent children.

Hopefully, through some miracle of life maybe Mr. Obama and his family will see this post and heed my advice and hopes. It would most certainly make the country a much better place to live in during these hard times.

Jordan C. said...

Meg Song
"Feed yourself before you try to feed the village."
Did you make that up yourself, because that is an effective aphorism. Quote of the day goes to Meg Song!

Jordan C. said...

Janiru-
"Anywho, Obama is a lot more liberal than McCain, so if I had to choose, I would have picked him. I still don’t see eye to eye on most issues, but I found more of a connection to him then I did to McCain. Plus, Sarah Palin annoys the hell out of me."

Bro, I find it admirable that your so interested in life. Your maturity level and intellectual prowess is amazing to me. There are so many aspects of life that you are so immersed in that its almost as if your an adult figure to me. Your musical taste, political preferences, speech, and even your advice are all on the level of someone in their mid twenties. I like to see myself as a tad immature, considering at sixteen I love politics but hate to watch it and following it, but I love watching Spongebob. On some days I sit and pine for the maturity level you have, and the fact that you even have it awes me to no extent. Hey maybe that's why all the girlies find you so attractive bro.

Vikkie said...

Brendan- I like your plan for the future. I was talking to my friend who is graduating college this year and he said that one of his professors literally told him that when his class graduates, there will be no jobs for them at all. Obama needs to fix our economy before we as graduates of 2014 flow into the mainstream of the real world.

Jonathan S said...

"The surrealists were just
nihilists with good imaginations."
It's been out for almost 2 years now (it'll be exactly two in two days), but I think Hissing Fauna's finally starting to grow on me.
***********************************
"I read the news today, oh boy."
Ugggh. Same exact thing as last week happenned. Put my head down for ten seconds, and next thing I knew, it was 5:30 am. None of my homework's done....... =(
***********************************

President Obama, as you already know, our country is responsible for 25% of the planet's waste each year, when we only possess 5% of the population. I'd suggest you get on that as soon as possible. With the world's resources quickly diminishing, it is time to find ways to preserve and conserve, so that not only we can enjoy the prosperity and joy this world provides us, but also our children, and our children's children.

There is no need to perform a complete rehaul of the United States as it stands today. As you said, we are one of the most presperous nations in the world. However, the exact solution eludes my grip. Perhaps we need a new DST set-up? I'm not completely sure, so that part's up to you.

Obama, I'd like you to pull some strings and get me into the United States Library of Congress so I can help them pick out their Poets Laureate. I'm sorry, but that poet that followed your speech was just a disgrace. Poets laureate are supposed to represent all the poets in America. That woman represented noone. In the past, we've had guys like Robert Frost, Karl Shapiro, and Billy Collins. Kay Ryan just isn't up to snuff. Sure, she's by and large a well-versed poet. I've read some of her other work, and it's quite good, but she choked at the inauguration, and that's all most people will ever see of her. Now, people think the Poet Laureate position is a joke.

As far as the daughters go, live your life the way you want to live it. Just try to stay out of the media's eye. That means don't do stupid stuff. Do fun stuff, just not stupid stuff, haha.

JH said...

You take a mortal man
And put him in control
Watch him become a god
Watch people's head's a-roll.


Megadeth.


Brendan and Dan. You are both the man. Or men. Whichever. Just wanted to point that out. Hilarious stuff.

Morgan C said...

Since I was in DC watching this groundbreaking historical moment first hand, witnessing our new President place his hand on Lincoln’s bible, and watching Obama’s face up close as he delivered his brilliantly articulated speech----
Oh wait... Just kidding! I was standing in the frigid ice cold weather surrounded by millions of obnoxious, screaming, enthusiastic people jumping up and down practically on top of me watching Obama’s face on one of the ten jumbotrons that were scattered throughout National Mall trying to find some way to warm my fingers and toes that were almost blue and frostbitten despite my warm ski gloves and Uggs. Yes, that is how I really spent my day in DC, not up close and personal with Barack like I had imagined. When I brought this up to a teacher that was chaperoning the trip she looked at me and laughed. Apparently I was too “naive” and should have known that of course we would not be attending the REAL inauguration. Thank you Teacher. So yes, I would definitely have preferred watching this in sunny Mays Landing without having about 3 shirts on, two hoodies, and a peacoat on.
Anyways, I have been backing Obama from the start. I would argue with my dad in debates about who was the better candidate Obama or McCain, usually I would beat him because he would just run out of things to say. That was definitely a plus side in going to DC though because I got to at least experience the chaotic atmosphere and excitement. If McCain had won, I really would have been so pissed about going. So if I was lucky enough to be able to meet Obama face to face, when I got over the shock, there would definitely be some advice I would give to him. First off I would congratulate him over and over again. Secondly I would tell him to not let the position of being President get to his head even though he would be one of the most influential powerful people in the world. I would tell him to still be humble and think of the citizens that inhabit this nation and to be compassionate towards them. I would want him to still take into consideration what is best for the American people, because that is what makes up our country. He seems to be a big advocate of the middle class everyday American and I hope that he stays true to that. I would tell him to try and stick to all his promises, because Americans need to gain hope. We lost that in the past few years. We lost faith in our country, our President, and our economy. I would tell him of the people in the crowds that we were watching him give his Inaugural speech. I would tell him the joyous look in all of their faces as they watched him get sworn in. I would tell him of the millions of applause, and tears and yells of happiness. Americans need someone, like Obama, to stand up and restore people’s hopes for a brighter future. He needs to address the things that are most critical, and try to fix the problems our country is facing, so that Americans can regain that lost patriotism.
I would advise him to be cautious because there are also a great number of people who feel that Obama is a blight in our government. I would tell him to increase security and take extra precautions because who knows what some people are willing to do to harm the lives of others. I would warn him to not crumble under all the immense stress and problems, but to stand strong and know that he can change our country for the better. Americans believe in him and are willing to stand there backing him because there is just something about him that makes you know he is serious and passionate about his beliefs. He broke the barrier that many African Americans have only dreamed about. He changed our country and opened new possibilities. For the years to follow this historical Inauguration and his years in the highest position of our country, I would tell him to never second guess his morals, don’t forget where he came from and the fact he is living Martin Luther King Jr’s dream, and don’t forget the promises he made to our country and to the citizens of the United States.
To Obama’s two beautiful daughters I would tell them to live it up. They are the President’s daughters, living in the White House! That is ridiculously cool, so they should take full advantages of living that lifestyle and enjoy every second of it. I would tell them that it is important to stand up for their father and always be there for your family, no matter what. As the President’s daughters it makes a good impression on the American public if they support their father’s decisions. I would tell them not to go out partying all night and drinking with celebrities because it is trashy; it only creates horrible gossip and rumors about them and the White House family, while putting more stress on the already stressed out President. I would tell them that it is more highly looked upon if they act lady like, but don’t forget to have fun because they are only children. They do need to make friends and have a life beyond being the President’s daughters.

Morgan C said...

Erik-
"To be in a position of such strength, of such power and influence, is to have every decision, no matter how consequential or how insignificant, scrutinized under the microscope of the media and the world. My advice to President Obama would be simple to communicate, but difficult to carry out; remain true to yourself. Trust your instincts. Know who you can count on, and listen to their advice."

Erik, that is so true and you summed up pretty much everything I was trying to say. That is such perfect advice to give Obama in this critical period of time. He definetly entered into Presidency at a really rough time.

Ashley S said...

I could tell you were nervous as you took each one of your steps carefully, clenched your jaw in disquietude, and stared with grave eyes into red and blue waves consisting of millions of hopeful citizens. You promised each one of these individuals a change, one that would enable children to fulfill a college education, health care to once again become obtainable, and our dependence on our enemies to cease. Additionally, you have stressed the length of time needed for such a change to be made. You must still nonetheless maintain the hope and spirit of the American people through this time. If for one moment you begin to lose confidence, it will duplicate in those you represent. Of course, it is without a doubt that you realize the pressure now lying upon you with the expectations of young and elder Americans alike. Yet, the key to being a leader is knowing who your followers are. The reactions of citizens to war, taxes, health benefits, and civil rights have been marked in our extensive history, and it is from these reactions that you should base your decisions. The silence which overcame the crowds of Washington D.C., Times Square, Kenya, Alabama, Iraq, and California when you began to speak was the need for guidance and leadership people are hoping desperately to find in you. You are absolutely correct in stating that “homes have been lost; jobs shed; businesses shuttered,” but now millions of people are turning to you for help or at least the beginning of a path out of these crises, and if you maintain their trust, you cannot fail.

My advice to you now as the leader of this nation is to remain equally as confident during times of struggle as you may be potentially doubtful. Being in a state of doubt at any time during these next four years is completely human, but not in the eyes of your followers. As a leader, you must carry the same confidence you wish to bestow in your citizens in yourself at all times. You are the reassurance they lack, their shoulder to cry on, and the light needed for a brighter future. Never be carefree, and instead always maintain a calm visage that other citizens can adopt. In addition, it is imperative to be as informative as possible. The media obtains their most reliable news from you, and you must be willing to offer it. One of the worst scenarios you can find yourself in are times when your citizens feel afraid or uninformed. In such situations, citizens are more likely to take action, and formulate their own misleading solutions. Once these solutions are spread, you briefly lose your credibility until you are able to address their concerns. Hence, it is also very important to remain close to your citizens. Try to be involved locally whenever possible, even for seemingly diminutive events. Your citizens will appreciate you more if you bring yourself down to their level. Your hope is to understand and address the hardships of middle class families at this time. Yet, this is impossible if you do not show them that you can relate to their current status. In addition to being close to your citizens, you should never remain outside of the country for too long; allow your citizens to become the center of attention, and they will gain your trust.

What you should also take into consideration is your involvement with the media. Anything you say or do will not only be recorded, but spun in ways to make you look unfit for the job, especially in conservative Republican news media. So, my advice to you is not to completely ignore the media, but to be very careful in your choice of words. It is acceptable to occasionally stick with the cliché “no comment”, but again, you want your citizens to feel informed. The media could easily accuse you of not being open enough or being too secretive. If the media does say something untrue about you, be sure to address it, but never take extensive action. You have to be willing to read the headlines of TIME, Newsweek, or the Washington Post with ease. Whether they say something about you or your family, what they say can easily be countered later on.

Also, your appearance physically and emotionally will heavily be judged in the next few years. Already, your wife has been criticized of wearing an inappropriate evening gown for the Inaugural Ball, but such censure should not be taken personally. This criticism has been seen since the presidency of George Washington and will continue for as long as our country is standing. The media even critiqued the outfits of your two daughters going so far as to say that the J.Crew outfits show a sense of bourgeois to the family, which will have a positive effect on the attention being given to middle class citizens. Once again, such comments will be long lasting, yet can be ignored.

In terms of my own future, all I can say is that as long as my college investment funds are not completely obliterated, I will be happy. To be completely honest, I do not know how money is being spent in this country right now, nor do I know what it is being used for. It would certainly be helpful though if more money could be set aside for education rather than war efforts that seem to be getting us no where. To be even more honest, I still fail to have a complete understanding of our economy or the workings of the stock market. Additionally, while I do have a vague understanding of what health care and social security do for others, I do not understand the problems people are facing right now with them. In my future, it would be nice to see the strict divisions between the lower and higher classes to eventually become less defined. Also, while I am not a huge fanatic about the preservation of our environment, I do hope that alternatives can be found to address the future problems we may face. I have never been interested in politics nor the subjects related to it, but as long as I am given the money needed for college, taxes become higher to promote internal improvements, and conflicts/dependency on other countries can finally be obliterated, I believe I will have a more enjoyable, secure future.

Lastly, as far as the advice I would give to your daughters, Sasha and Malia, I would say to remain as safe as possible. These two girls remain a huge target for your enemies, and thus, they need to be kept in good hands. Having the secret service go to school with them and follow them wherever they go will surely become an object of disagreement through their eyes as they become older. Even so, these girls will hopefully not be too affected by their presence or what the media will have to say about them. Those who gain fame can easily become obsessed with it, and so I hope that these girls make the right choices and try to live some-what normal lives. Having you as their father become the first African American President should be seen as a huge inspiration for them, not four years of a lack of privacy. If these girls do change in any way, hopefully it is for the better. These girls, although it is difficult to understand at such a young age, should know that their father is making history, and trying his best to help as many people as possible. So, when he stays up late one night, skips dinner, or flies out of the country for a meeting with the ambassador of France, they should know that their father has an immense responsibility at the moment. Slowly but surely, he is changing the lives of millions of American citizens to lead us down a better path, and I, for one, strongly believe he can do it.

In response to Fiona E.:
I would have to agree with you, that technically giving President Obama advice is some-what hypocritical. I would want President Obama to take care of our nation’s problems in the way he chooses. Unlike President Bush, he should begin to trust himself and not rely on the advice of others. According to Senator LoBiondo, this is what destroyed his presidency (not that I am a fan of him or anything, this is just what he told us in our meeting with him). After reading your blog, I realized that it is kind of wrong to be giving him advice, in my opinion, because I would never want him to rely on it.

Additionally, I was very impressed by your proposal in order to solve these crises. I’m not familiar with the September 2002 Johannesburg Summit or the division of labor, (honestly, I have no idea what they are. By the way, is the housing crisis just the fact that people cannot afford their own homes because of the state of the economy? You’ll have to forgive me, I really don’t know much at all about economy or politics) but they seemed to serve as good examples to support your proposal. Job well done Fiona!

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much Ashley. I always enjoy reading your blog and I'm glad you liked mine too. As for your questions, most of those are just big words for simple ideas. For instance, the proposition brought up at the September 2002 Johannesburg Summit was simply a matter of money. The United Nations estimated that it would cost about $195 billion a year to stop unneccesary deaths caused world wide by hunger and curable diseases. To reach that monetary goal, they asked 22 countries to simply donate .7% of their national income to international aid. Some countries, like Sweden, Denmark, The Netherlands and Norway have already reached that goal, and all that means is this. For every $100the country earns, they donate at least 70 cents. Not a lot of money, in the scheme of things. Most of the 22 countries have either met their goal or have a plan in place preparing to, and are currently donating approximately 50 cents per $100, well on their way to the mere 70 needed to effectively end world hunger.

The US is one of 6 countries, out of the 22, that lacks a plan to accumulate this amount. So when I spoke about Obama bettering the international realm without nosing about in other countries buisness, this was a good example of how he could effectively do just that.

Division of labor is just a term that means to split up the work. If my mom tells me she wants the living room and the play room clean, and I tell Lizzy to clean the living room, Margaret to clean the play room, and Liam to vacuum while I oversee, that's division of labor.

And lastly, yes, that is exactly what the housing crisis is. =] I'm not honestly into politics too much either, but these are things that make sense to me in every day life, so applying them to politics isn't too hard.

Anonymous said...

I just had one of the best weeks of my life! That’s right; I was actually in Washington D.C for the inauguration of Barack Obama. I met some great new people and I really think that these friendships will last. I was never the history buff but this trip has broadened my horizons. The tour guides were amazing and when we toured the monuments at night we had a very gifted tour guide. One of the most memorable moments of the trip for me was the statement that he made. He stated, “How old are all of you? Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen? You may think that this history is ancient when in fact you are more involved and apart of history than you know. It is expected and hoped that your generation will live to be at least 100 years old if not your generation then your children’s generation. America’s known history is said to be at least 233 years and if you live to be 100 years old than you are either ½ or 1/3 of the nation’s history.” Whether the facts he threw out were true I am not 100 percent sure but I sure do believe in what he said. On Wednesday we met with Congressmen Lobiondo and there was a very interesting question asked. Someone stated, “What do you have to say about the way the crowd reacted towards former President Bush?” Lobiondo said, “One of Mr. Bushes greatest strengths and greatest weaknesses was his loyalty in those who he surrounded himself with.” His loyalty left him blindsided by many issues and ignorant to oblivious occurrences.
If I could tell our new President anything it would be to wear the pants in his relationship ha-ha sike but we all know that Michelle runs him. My serious advice to him would be to create economic relief as fast as possible. For the long run, know who you are at the end of the night and that staying true to yourself reflects your character. In terms of my future it comes down to our environment. By our environment I mean recycling, global warming, and all of the social issues that have been created over time. We need to become a more companionate world, not just America but as a nation. A human race that cares for this earth that we inhabit and do not own, that we care for each other, and not just the people of this country but of other countries to unite us as one world. As for his daughters I would say that they need to stay true to themselves and remain little girls. Remember that they do not have to be perfect because it is okay to make mistakes; no one on this earth is perfect. At the end of the night when your father tucks you in even though he may be the most powerful man in our country when the lights go out you are still daddy’s little girls.

Anonymous said...

“I hope she didn't mean the WHOLE house.”

Tamari your blog what humorous and witty I loved that part, I started laughing. Could you imagine having to clean the White House? Heck even finding your way around is probably like a puzzle.