Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Welcome to AP Language and Composition! We will be using this blog as a tool, a resource, and hopefully as a source of profound discussions about life. A blog is an excellent medium to explore each other's and our own brilliance and creativity. Class discussions that get cut short by the bell will be continued here, and we will often expand upon ideas we come across in our readings throughout the year. Everything you say here will have value--make it matter!
41 comments:
Ah...fainting goats. They don't really faint though. Scaring them isn't exactly as easy as it seems either. It's still really entertaining, though.
O.O!!! Wow! I thought it was really funny! All the goats just went *pla plok*!!! I really liked the one where the adults stiffened but they had balance and they were still trying to run (more like hop) away! *laughs* But I kinda feel bad for them... if a wolf ever scares them, they just kinda offer themselves up as a meal... *cries*
I'd already seen it.
I still want one.
That is great! I now have a new "make Alison happy method." Fainting goats. Who would have thought? The perfect pick-me-up on a bad day!
you were right, one of the easiest and best homework assignments of ap lang.
I must admit the fainting goats are really very funny Bunje. i will watch that whenever i need a good laugh. I had this done at 3:30 but this post wan't here grrh. jk.
oh my! so when i thought 'fainting goats' I thought they would just slowly bend then fall over. But oh no, they just fall sideways. Seriously one of the funniest things that I have ever seen.
I gotta admit, those were pretty good. They were funniest en masse though. The funniest animal thing I've seen on Youtube is still 'Rusty the Narcoleptic Weiner Dog.' Go head. Search for it. I triple-dog dare you.
Pun totally intended there, by the by.
Well, I finally found what I want to be when I grow up. A fainting goat herder. Then, I am guaranteed a hysterical day EVERY single day. That had me laughing so hard and I'm not ashamed to say that I watched it 5+ times.
I HATED IT! I have aol and its the slowest internet in the world...I tried to get the shortest video so that it would load faster but it took like 2 min to load 2 sec...SERIOUSLY! Then I tried to watch the parts that had already loaded and it started loading from the beginning again...And then I didnt even find the fainting part very funny...They just fell and were still moving a little so it was just like they were any other animal accidentally falling and trying to get up...Sorry I'm just frustrated with the world right now...I have to get off the internet...Ahhhhhhhh! BYE!
Aw, that is so sad. They must be thinking that God hates them, to be cursed with such a humiliating and life-threatening condition. I think it's horrible that people get a "good laugh" out of this. (And yes, this is the crazy vegetarianism and "against the cruelty of aniamls" in me talking) For people to purposely make them faint just for kicks is ridiculous. But then again, I'm not a fainting goat expert, so maybe they actually enjoy it? Who knows.
Well I have to say I agree with Alice and Jenn to a degree. It is a little sad to think of what would happen if a predator were to find them. But it was also pretty funny, especially -as Dan said- when they fall over all at once. I watched this with some friends and I feel the need to go back to last weeks post: the boys in the room found it hysterical. The girls in the room are all like "Aw, poor baby goats. *insert-sad-face-here*"
"There are scores of breeders who love them just the way they are." Ms. Bunje, I want you to know something: There is not a single person in this world, universe, cosmic atmosphere, or point in intergalactic space who will ever reach even the slightest sense of possessing faultlessness. I know practically nothing about you, but one thing I do know is that you are better than any fainting goat out there. I suppose the one thing that is admirable about them is the fact that when they fall, they get right back up. To speak in complete honesty, I must say that I was not quite so sure how to feel once the video ended, but it did make me realize how you must feel at times. Maybe one day when I’ll refer back to it and it really will change my life, but in order to fully appreciate the video, I feel that one would actually have to be in that state of depression. Then, I would learn to believe in that overused, yet important statement to “love yourself just the way you are”.
First of all, Ahley why are you so philosophical? Everything you write has depth an insight and that's amazing. Second, after reading all 16, oh boy, posts, the dichotomy in opinions is amazing to me. I also now realize that this quirk these goats live with is potenially life threatening and we are laughing at it. That seems rather wrong. But, nevertheless, the goats don't seems sad or upset, they even managed to adapt by jumping with they stiffen. If they aren't upset/sad/depressed about thier situtation then i don't think we should be either. To wrap things up, i did happen to notice that most of the women noting how unforunate this trait is and thought beyond thier own need for laughter/enjoyment. the guys didn't. i'm not "dissing" anyone, it's just an observation. What does this say about the empathy of women compared to men? I guess the world will never find out. Unless someone would like to share some insight. Anyone? Bunje, what do you think?
one last thing, leonor, sorry about all your problems. i sure things will get better soon. buenos suerte(is that good luck??)
Wow. Even a fainting goat can get this class worked up into posting a frenzied response.
OK--first things first.
You will not find a bigger animal lover ON THE PLANET than me. Unless you count Mrs Rock, and of course I do, but we're sorta the same person so...
That being said...had I thought of the fact that their genetic disorder--which is what it is--could result in an untimely death, I would have found it much less funny, believe me.
However, fainiting goats are not just unlucky anomalies of the wild kingdom--meaning, they are not alone on the frontier anywhere waiting to be devoured by a myopic hyena or anything. Mostly, they are bred for people who...well, who like goats. And who doesn't? I told you all that my dream is to own a goat--not necessarily a fainiting goat--more like a Nigerian Dwarf Goat.
Anyway, my point is, because they are bred for people who want goats, presumably as pets, they are not left to the cruel reality of Darwinism. And, as Ashley pointed out, people love them the way they are. I liken it to having any type of "quirk" actually. It's one of life's most genearous gifts--having quirks I mean. What else besides your eccentricities, foibles, quirks, imperfections--whatever you want to call them--truly makes you YOU? Does that make sense?
I suppose that is why I love the fainting goats so much that I wanted to share them with you. Yes, I feel a sense of kinship with them--I've told you about my unfortunate clumsiness--but really what I love is their utter lack of pretension! I mean, they FAINT for goodness sake! Hilarious!
I don't see it as cruelty to animals to make them faint, by the boo. Cruelty implies maliciousness which implies an intent to harm. I don't see it that way. But I can see how others may.
Basically, I would like you all to see it as something that is wildly funny, of course, but also a testament to the triumph of an indomitable spirit. Sometimes, I just need to know that such a thing exists in the world.
Ash--I am not sure exactly what you are trying to say--could you clarify?
Jen--I would never tell you to look at something that I thought was in any way harmful or immoral or cruel. I am very sorry you were offended.
Alice, I cannot make any guarantees, but it is not likely that they will be left to their own devices in the company of wolves, so please try not to think that way.
Leonor--when they fall and they still move they are not trying to get up, that is their muscles contracting and retracting. They get up as soon as they're able to.
Matty--I think my comment about what I actually find so whimsical about the goats speaks to your question about the difference between what men and women see.
I am not sure why I kept spelling FAINTING wrong, but my apologies anyway.
Okay, wow. I am really sorry and apologize to...well, everyone. I did mean to speak philosopically, that's just what came to me. I didn't mean to and I wasn't trying to make a statement or something. Look, forget what I said before; I'm really sorry. Jeeze, all that I meant to say was that I am sure this video will help me later in life and that I feel bad for Ms. Bunje, that's all.
i feel extremely left out because i did not attend class on the day that fainting goats were discussed ): someone fill me in?!
Skills (Hillary) it is official that you are my hero! “Well, I finally found what I want to be when I grow up. A fainting goat herder.” I am in the same boat as you girl. Those goats are HILIARIOUS! By the way I watched it as much as you did and laughed just as hard every time. I am sure that you will have great success in being a fainting goat herder, I mean your Hilla killa cash money what don’t you have success in?! Ms. Bunje I think that every day I have a bad day I will come home and watch that video. Not only was the video funny, but in a way I think of you falling the exactly how the fainting goats do which might I add is an amusing thought. :)
It was pretty funny...but sad at the same time...their so helpless! =(
hehe.....hehehehehehehHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Megan's Birthday List:
1. phone
2. clothes
3. fainting goat
bunje, you are correct in everything you said, but that's obvious. Anyway as long as these awesome creatures aren't helplessly left to be devoured i'm cool with it. THey do speak about how no one should be ashamed of who they are no matter how bad it may seem. these goats provide an inspirational message as well as a good laugh. wow, who knew we'd be dicerning a message from fainting goats? Anyway, you are completely correct in that our idiosyncharcies make us who we are, even if they make us contract and fall to the ground. So thanks for yet anorher invaluable lesson bunje. and ashley no need to apologize philosphy is just who you are and its pretty awesome. :)
BTW Bunje i read pinero's last occasional paper and it made me feel infintesmially small. just though you'd like to know.
Where can I get one?
So I was not surprised with the incredible goats because I've seen it before. But like you said Ms. Bunje, it gets you every time. I would also love to have one like Erik said but i'm afraid that I would use them only for my own pleasure and the ASPCA would take me away becasue it would be considered abuse. I would scare them all the time and it would be completly unfair to the goats. Still they are amazing creatures, but we should never let them out into the wild cause they will get eaten.
matt,
yea it does mean good luck...but instead of buenos u write buena lol
thanx
Alright, thanks for making it clear. ^_^' I would be really sad if anything were to happen to them!!! They're so cute!!!
I just watched the video, and I just think they are adorable. I think goats and their love for all food (edibles and nonedibles) are so cute with their little goat noises and beards. But anyway, these particular goats are fun to surprise by opening umbrellas so that’s a plus! I won’t get all deep on the subject because, to me, it seems the youtube videos were made for entertainment, and they did their job for me! They don’t seem like they are fainting though. More like falling over and spazzing then getting back up like nothing happened. I guess “fainting goats” was an easier name!
When like 5 of them jump then fainti n air is Hilarious!!
They were pretty funny. But you know why they were designed that way, right? In olden times, they were kept with flocks of sheep. They lived happily, free from obligation, until a wolf showed up. Sheep ran away, and the goats got eaten. In this day and age, though, they're just cute.
It was comical. However, I always thought the fainting was a defense mechanism. I don't really see "playing dead" being a bad idea. It was a good couple minute entertainment.
hold on. was I suppose to comment on this? was this like a legit homework assignment?
hmm.....Was I supposed to comment on this? Am I too late? No? Didn't think so. *happy face*
Well I saw the video and it was ok. Fainting goats were just as I imagined them as mrs bunje began explaining them, really. I really imagined that their legs would just freeze and tip over. It was funny to watch, but not funny enough for me to watch it again. I think there are much funnier videos that still exist on youtube, but what I find funny might not be funny to others, like mrs. bunje.
HA. WA HA HA HA HA! yes, Ms. Bunje, that is exactly what you should do if you ever come into contact with my darling parents.
My personal favorite was the older ones that hop with straight legs.
YOU WERE RIGHT!!!
they're cute and funny.
I want one.
I watched the video a while ago, I guess I'm a little late with the comment? I have an odd sense of humor, so I didn't find it that funny. Sorry...I just kind of...watched. My feelings at the end of the video were mixed. I thought I should be laughing but I couldn't. I just felt sorry for them. I don't think it's cruel or anything, and it's great that it makes some people feel better and laugh. After all, laughter is the best medicine. It just doesn't work for me.
Post a Comment