Monday, November 23, 2009

"What Have You Learned, Dorothy?"

Last week, I gave the current AP Langers an assignment that was pretty meaty. I feel a little bad about that because I never gave this assignment to you, and I know that the vast majority of you would have made quite a meal of it.
However, as I thought more about it, I realized that an assignment like this could promote some really provocative ideas--especially since the ones you come up with can ALSO be maneuvered into an interesting college app essay. :)
So, the assignment--and consequently your new blog question--is as follows:
What ______________ can teach us about ________________.
I didn't pose it as a question, because it will be much more effective as a statement.
The idea is to start off inductively (narrow) and move to deductive (broad) which is the polar opposite of a typical 5-paragraph essay structure (and with good reason, hmmmmph). So, for example, you could say something like: "What Star Wars can teach us about Identity." Start off with a personal anecdote--and a personal anecdote doesn't necessarily need to be a personal experience--you could just as easily take it from a book or movie or an urban myth or whatever. Then, move into a broader, more socially-conscious issue that you can connect in some fashion to the thesis. When you're done, you should have an extended metaphor that will serve as a concrete description to an abstract concept that will provide insight into how your mind works AND to what you value. What could be better than that??? :)
Good luck--I am excited to see what you do with this!
May the Force be with you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What black friday can teach us about perserverance. (and/or procrastination)

Anonymous said...

Problem: I just realized that I don't really use any... flowery language in my writing. Everything is pretty straightfoward. I don't use a lot of figurative language or big words. IS THIS BAD?!

Hilary R said...

I'm still thinking about this.